?: Question regarding the Exposure Simulation in the EVF

Hi Everyone,

This is my first real shooting day with my Nikon Z7 and the first mirrorless camera Ive ever used. I cant believe how much I enjoy the smaller size and weight coming from a D3, D850, both with grips, and also now using the smaller 24-70 S lens.

Ive been searching in the manual, online and forums to try to understand the Exposure Simulation in the EVF and I cant seem to find an answer to my question. Maybe because its very obvious and I just don't understand it.

Anyway, here is my question...

I have the setting in CUSTOM SETTING MENU d. Shooting/Display d.8 Apply Settings to live view set to "ON"

When I am in M mode it works great. As I change a setting I can see the affect in the EVF. However, when Im in S or A Mode the EVF display does not change. It looks the same unlike in M mode.

Now I understand that, for example, when Im in S mode and I change to a faster shutter speed that the camera will adjust the aperture to compensate and will thus show a correct exposure in the EVF which would cause the simulation to be the same as before the adjustment. However, when I raise the shutter speed to a level at which the camera cannot open the aperture any wider, i.e. 1/2000th and f/4, the EVF still shows a bright image. I would think that at this particular setting the EVF, if set to exposure simulation, would be darker than it was previously. With my DSLRs the display would show "lo" to indicate that you have reached a shutter speed at which the aperture cannot be opened wide enough to allow for a correct exposure.

I did notice that when in S or A Mode that when the exposure +/- button is used that the EVF will show that change in exposure visually in the EVF.

Im sure Im probably missing something pretty easy here, but I just cant seem to figure/understand. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much and best to you always,

Rick

Just a thought, do you have Auto ISO turned on? That could also be adjusting the exposure. Glad to hear your initial thoughts of the camera are positive. I'm going to be getting a Z6 soon.

Just a thought, do you have Auto ISO turned on? That could also be adjusting the exposure. Glad to hear your initial thoughts of the camera are positive. I'm going to be getting a Z6 soon.
Thank you so much Terri! I appreciate it!
Yes, I was thinking the same thing with the ISO so I did check that and it wasn't on Auto ISO.
It sounds like this is just the way its designed but I'll keep poking around and see if I can find an explanation.
That's exciting about your Z6. I hope to hear from you about how you like it!
Take care and thanks!
Rick

Just tried this on my Z7 on a grey day in the UK, ISO set manually at 2000, in S mode the metering bar comes on and the aperture value flashes when the camera cannot open/close the aperture beyond f4 or f22 depending whether you are increasing or decreasing the shutter speed, in A mode the metering bar comes on and the shutter value flashes when you have reached the camera's limit for that Aperture/Shutter/ISO combination. In testing the EVF did not dim or go brighter as the settings should in theory give a correct exposure at all times as long a you remain inside the min/max values for shutter and aperture. In M mode then you control everything so the camera will react to the inputs you are making which is why M mode works in those tricky lighting situations or when you want to take total control. Hope this helps.

Just tried this on my Z7 on a grey day in the UK, ISO set manually at 2000, in S mode the metering bar comes on and the aperture value flashes when the camera cannot open/close the aperture beyond f4 or f22 depending whether you are increasing or decreasing the shutter speed, in A mode the metering bar comes on and the shutter value flashes when you have reached the camera's limit for that Aperture/Shutter/ISO combination. In testing the EVF did not dim or go brighter as the settings should in theory give a correct exposure at all times as long a you remain inside the min/max values for shutter and aperture. In M mode then you control everything so the camera will react to the inputs you are making which is why M mode works in those tricky lighting situations or when you want to take total control. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much Martin! Yes, very helpful and informative. Appreciate your input! Hope to interact with you in the future. best, Rick

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom