1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question: The use of ND Filters?

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by NewBert, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Didn't know exactly where to post these questions. So, since they pertain to shooting landscapes, I settled on posting them here.

Here are 3 bracketed images that I took yesterday. The gap between exposures was +/- 1.3 stops. All are straight OOC with no PP except for resizing, converting to JPG to post here. Please ignore the sensor dust in the sky. (I'll deal with that eventually....)

View attachment 263404

View attachment 263405

Although this situation is a bit extreme, I am interested in shooting sunsets in fading light.

I'm told that using an ND filter (in this case 3-stops) would be the best bet to deal with a situation like this where I want to capture both the fading light in the sky (Image #1) and the foliage in the shadows (Image #3). Is that correct?

If so, what "stop range" (1 stop, 2 stop, 3 stop) ND filter would be most versatile for shooting something like these images (ie - fading light into a sunset with clouds)? Also, is there such a thing as a graduated ND filter? (I know that it exists in various software...). If so - what spec should I be looking for?

If I'm totally offbase here, and an ND filter is not the way to go, what kind of filter or shooting technique (short of HDR or blending of images in post) would help?

Thanks!

2. I think you want a graduated ND filter. e.g. http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html. Looks to me like you would want around 3 stops for this shot.

The alternative is to expose for the highlights and bring the details out of the shadows using software.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.