1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Questions about ACU modular sleep system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Zalewski, Apr 13, 2013.

1. April 13, 2013

Hello Fellow Nikon Cafe members:

I was wondering if any members of Nikon Cafe have used the US Military's ACU modular sleeping bag system, and what your comments and thoughts are about these sleeping bags.

I'm curious if they are of good quality and if they are warm. I would appreciate any and all comments if you have used them or know about these sleeping bags, and I want to thank you for your help. Comments both positive and negative would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Steve Zalewski
    Nikon Cafe Member,
    Syracuse Camera Club Member,
    and amateur astronomer
    Syracuse, NY

Nikon D3100, F5, N80, N65, various Nikkor lenses and a Celestron C5+ astronomical telescope.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2013
  2. Steve - I used one when on active duty and own one now that I am retired. It is a very versatile system, with a light weight mountain bag which fits into a moderate weather bag which fits into a gortex outer shell. The whole set comes with a stuff sack covered with a generous amount of compression straps that allow you to squeeze the contents down to a surprisingly manageable size. Generally I have found myself only using the light bag, as otherwise it is too warm. If you sleep out in late fall, winter, or early spring you may want to use a combination of two or all three components.

3. April 13, 2013

Thank you Fred for your comments.

Steve Zalewski,
    Syracuse, NY

4. Hello,

I used my issued bag 2x before I retired in Dec 2011. It is certainly versatile and packs down into a small kit. The outer waterproof shell can be used by itself along with one or both inner bags. I can attest the waterproof shell kept me dry and warm and the waterproof with lighter bag kept me dry and warm in colder weather. For the former, I slept in a hooch which is essentially a poncho strung up with bungee cords between 4 close trees < 2' off the ground. It rained overnight but my feet which stuck out of my hootch were dry in the AM.

I see that you can get them for $73 on Amazon. That's a pretty good price if you ask me. :smile:

5. April 15, 2013

Thank you Gene for your comments.

Steve Zalewski,
    Syracuse, NY

6. I used one all through the army, And have had two since I got out in 2007. I like camping year round, even in the snow, and it is very warm and the whole kit stuffs down a lot smaller than you would think. the only downside for me is I wish it had more room. Im on the bigger side and i sleep on my side so room gets tight. If you can get one go for it, you wont need much else if you do.

7. April 15, 2013

Thank you Brandon for your comments.

Steve Zalewski,
    Syracuse, NY

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.