Questions about Su800s.

Ok, so first of all I have a lot of questions about controlling flashs wirelessly. I have a d80 and one SB600. Could I control the SB600 wirelessly from the su800? Like instead of using continous lamps, Im wanting to use a sb600 on a light stand. I plan on getting a Sb800, I was reading that you could control sb600s through the 800 too. I just dont get what the su800 does lol. Thanks.

To make it even simplier, you can control your sb600 wirelessly by using the popup flash on your d80. The su800 just makes it easier, as you won't have to menu-dive to change settings, and it's commands are sent via invisible infrared signals, as opposed to white light signals from the popup (or an sb800 commander).

O I did not know that. Thank you.

My wife who is very sensitive to on camera flashes blinks every time one goes off. I love the SU800 as it allows the off camera flashes with IR and does not cause subjects to blink. I also like the ease of setting the off camera flash(s) with the SU800 as well.

The SU-800 also does great and really shows its value when working with younger kids. My daughter (15 months) is very sensitive to the pre flashes, so using the on board isn't really an option for me. Not having to dive in the menu is a big plus also.

I just purchased one, but then I found out about Pocket Wizards. Do those work the same way as the Su-800 but with greater range? Also can you set up the PWs to control groups or just one source ? (I saw that you had to hook up a remote to whatever the source was).

I just purchased one, but then I found out about Pocket Wizards. Do those work the same way as the Su-800 but with greater range? Also can you set up the PWs to control groups or just one source ? (I saw that you had to hook up a remote to whatever the source was).

They are 2 different animals.

PW's have enormous range.... I believe up to a quarter of a mile... but they are simple triggers. You have to set the power of the remotes manually. So if your subject is 1/4 mile away and your test shot is too bright, you have to walk or drive 1/4 of a mile and lower the lightstand so you can adjust the power of the flash. That's an extreme example, given in fun, but the concept is factual.

The su800 only has a range of 60-70 feet, but it can control your remotes in TTL... or, if you want to use the strobes in manual mode, you can adjust the power of each remote from your shooting position.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PWs have one other big advantage - they do not require line of sight and are extremely reliable even in direct sunlight.

Another option is the Radiopopper - most of the advantages of radio triggering with the convenience of CLS.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom