1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Questions about TCs

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kilofoxtrott, May 16, 2018.

1. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    I follow several thread at the Café where TCs were used.

Mainly TC 1.4x is used.
    What's about 1.7x and 2.0x TCs.

Any information is welcome
    Klaus

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I use the 1.4 much more than the 1.7. There is a noticable decrease in IQ with the 1.7 over the 1.4 and that extra 1/3 stop of light loss seems to make a bigger difference in af performance than one might expect for just 1/3 stop of difference. That said, I do use the 1.7 and find the results decent when used with the newer E series lenses. I only use them on f2.8 or f4 lenses, and they behave better on the E series primes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. some lenses take teleconverters better than others Klaus. You may wish to modify your request to specify which lens you are perhaps hoping to pair a TC with. Personally I've found that I am using them less and less. I currently own two: The Nikon TC 1.4III and the TC 1.7 II. The 1.7 I seldom use.
    I've found that the trade off between gaining distance vs loss of f stop when using a TC is not acceptable in the low level quality of light we have here in Northern Ontario. Still use the 1.4 when needed and there is good light and I can get a decent crop using the D850. Otherwise I am moving away from using the TC's Oh, I did own the 2.0 and paired it with a 500 mm f/4. I din't care for the image quality and sold it .

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Thank you Bob,
    no, I don't plan to buy one in the next future. My question was just for information.

Kind regards
    Klaus

5. Klaus, hope you don't mind me asking a question, but does anyone have any info on a TC 1.4 on a 300 F4 ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I kept my 1.4 TC on my 300 f/4 (AF-S) for years. I'd read that lens didn't have any glass on the back and could easily get dust in it. No idea if that is true, but it provided a good place to store my TC, and it worked very well on that lens. Lots of people use the 1.4 on the newer PF 300, I don't have one of those but I've seen lots of comments and photos taken with that combo. It appears to work great.

7. In what I do (figure skating in a rink), I use a TC-14eII fairly often on 70-200 and D500. I guess if you wanted to pixel peep you could see the difference - but my clients still love the photos. I have put it on a 300 f/2.8 but not as often.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I used to use a 1.4 TC on my 300 f4 afs all the time. The primes seem to tolerate the tc's better than the zooms. In this case, I really couldn't see any loss of IQ.

9. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    +1
    I also use the 1.4 on my 70-200 when I want a little extra reach without sacrificing mobility.

10. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I have the 1.4x and 2x TCs. The 1.4x eats one stop of light. The 2x eats 2 stops of light. The IQ degradation with the 2x is noticeable. The IQ degradation with the 1.4x is tolerable, especially if you downsize to JPG for online posting. Downsizing collapses the pixels and applies a tiny bit of sharpening which seems to offset the image quality degradation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Thanks Rick, i am looking for a 300 F4, so seemed like a good time to ask .

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I have an afs version I'm not using. PM me if you'd like.

13. JW53

JW53

Jan 21, 2006
    Johns Creek, Ga
    Klaus.... I use the 1.7 tc with my 300mm on the D800. My 300 is the AFS f4D . So far have been happy with the combination. My image in the post “yellow crowned night heron?” Was shot with this combination.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OK Klaus here are some general comments about TC's (highly personal opinions), YMMV. I have used TC's for years with these lenses and this is what I think:
    • Note that the TC's don't fit on all lenses because the back lens protrudes out to much, be real careful or you might damage the lens and or TC, examples 85mm F1.8, 50mm F1.8 etc dont work with the TC's at all. The lenses listed below for sure works, and will physically mount.
    • TC14 (I have the II version) Works very well with all F4 and faster lenses (300mm F4 AF-S, 300mm F2.8, AF-S II, VR I & VR II) 400mm F2.8 all versions, 500mm AF-S II & VR, 600mm F4 VR, 70-200mm and surprisingly the 105mm F2.8 VR micro. I have not seen compelling reasons why the TC1.4EIII is better than the TC14II, YMMV
    • TC17EII, works quite well with all F2.8 lenses such as 105mm VR, 70-200mm, 300mm VR (I and II) 400mm F2.8 (AF-S and VR). When it comes to using the TC17EII with the F4 lenses this is where the YMMV part come in . I am of the opinion that it requires very good light for the 500 and 600mm F4 VR's to be produce decent results, and AF starts hunting and is less accurate, so I don't use these combos. The 300mm F4 I dont like at all with the TC17EII (focus hunts and lower IQ). I think the 105mm VR works exceptionally well with the TC17EII for macro work.
    • TC2.0II and III. The only lenses that dont focus hunts, as much but still do at times, are the F2.8 lenses. I think one looses to much detail with the TC2.0 and I sold mine.
    • General comments about TC's is that you need to AF Fine tune with them mounted, and you need a much more sturdy tripod and technique then with no TC's. I think this is underestimated by many. VR to me is essential when shooting with a very long lens and TC's as shutter speed slows down
    Hope this is helpful

15. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Thank you a lot Andreas.
    As moderator I noticed there are a lot of threads and pictures using the TC1.4. The other ones are rare or very rare.
    I've read about the collision of the back lens of some lenses in a operation manual of a lens.

I don't like to buy one, because my lens park is well equipped. One lens I'm looking for is the 200mm micro.

Kind regards
    Klaus

16. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    I'm wondering about if/which TC to purchase and this thread popped up from a search for "Nikon TC" on the cafe home page. There seem to be almost as many views on these as there are posters! I also search the "Used" listings in the two UK dealerships that I use: there are no TC 1.4 II or III entries and only one for the earlier version. Lots of 1.7 and 2.0 ones though.

17. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I have the full set of TCs; use them extensively and almost always keep one in a pocket when I am shooting.
    I use the 1.4 the most but the 2.0 can often get me a usable shot which I otherwise could not have got.

There are two essentials when using these TCs:
    double your regular shutter speed and stop down by at least one stop.

A camera which provides high speed ISOs is obviously hugely advantageous when using TCs.

18. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Thanks Ann. I'm not clear on why double shutter speed? Do you mean for a BIF shot where I'd normally be looking at 1/1000s or faster, would "double" here mean 1/2000s or does it mean adjust shutter speed to double the exposure?

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.