Questions about using Yongnuo system of flash -- SOLVED

I bought Andy's Yongnuo system and I'm having lots of trouble setting it up despite that I've read the manuals (yes, they're a joke, as he forewarned me) and reviewed three tutorials. With your help, please, I'll get this stuff figured out.

For now, to keep matters simple so my pea-size brain can handle everything, my questions will be about using the following equipment:
  • Nikon Z6
  • Yongnuo YN622n-TX controller
  • Yongnuo YN622n II trigger transceiver
  • Yongnuo YN560 IV speed light
Please recommend an effective tutorial about using the equipment, especially when the speed light is off-camera. I don't care whether the tutorial is video or text.

All of my questions are about using the speed light off-camera.

Which mode?
I understand from at least two videos that the speed light needs to be set to TTL even when I'm using a manual output. (I always use manual output when using a speed light off-camera.) However, the flash fires only when the mode is M (manual) or Multi. There is no mode named TTL on the flash, but there is an S2 mode, which the manual says is "suitable for...TTL flash environment." Should I use S2? If so, how do I get the flash to fire?

How to automatically get settings displayed properly on the speed light?
I understand that when changing settings on the controller such as output and zoom values, the revised settings should automatically be displayed on the speed light. That's not happening. Does it matter? If it does matter, what am I doing wrong? (The speed light, trigger and controller are on the same channel.)

Surely more questions will follow once I get helpful responses to the above. Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Andy very generously spent some time with me on the phone while I had all the equipment set up and he solved all the issues. He confirmed that the way to go with this set of equipment is to use the manual mode, which works fine for me because that's the only flash mode I use in my makeshift studio. He also confirmed my suspicion that when using this particular equipment, changing settings on the controller will not automatically change the settings on the speed lights; I'll need to make those changes manually on each speed light.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom