Questions on Graduated ND

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by supra, Sep 3, 2008.

1. supra

supra

Aug 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Hi,

I have seen the usage of GND in taking sunset pictures where the top half is usually brighter than the bottom half. Would the GND just as effective if I were to use it in a diagonal manner? For example, a scene where the right half is brightly lit from the middle top to the bottom right.

Since I already has a clear multi-coated filter on my lense and I plan to mount the GND on top of the clear filter. Do I still need a multi-coated one?

Thanks.

2. Absolutely, you can use your GND in any orientation you want. As far as the coating goes it is always nice to have one that is multicoated. Personally I would not stack the filters as this just gives you one more glass to go through with its attendant dust and environmental gunk.

3. supra

supra

Aug 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Thanks Gordan for the confirmation. I've found myself shooting a lot of high contrast scenes. PP may not yeild the best result. As a result, I am thinking about giving GND a try.

Good day!

4. still can't follow why you can't use them upside down even though I read the reason. I guess a reverse grad is a totally different animal

here's the link to why you can turn a gnd upside down if it makes any sense:

http://www.singh-ray.com/reversegrads.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  5. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    I used GND filters for the first time this summer. The first thing I learned was to not bother with the little mount that holds it on the camera -- just hand hold it (with the camera on a tripod). It worked great! I'm a total fan and look forward to using them more in the near future. I don't see any reason at all you couldn't orient them in any direction you want.

BTW, I used mine with a polarizer on it because it was needed for reflections on the water. In my case, it was so bright out, stacking wasn't a problem at all.

6. I had a quick read of that and what he's saying is that if you push it in upside down halfway to have a less graduated line on a very bright horizon - the sharp edge of the glass[plastic] will cause distortion/reflections in the centre of the picture but there's nothing wrong with pushing it all the way in upside down , depending what the reason is .
    His solution is a filter with a darker section in the middle tapering off to less dark near the top for when you have a sunset with darker sky at the top and a bright section on the horizon .