1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Questions regarding 5:4 image setting

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by lisagott, Aug 26, 2008.

1. lisagott

lisagott

Apr 1, 2008
    OH
    Is the image setting of 5:4 a happy medium between DX and FX with regards to getting some additional "reach" and resolution (i.e., approx. 10 mp vs the 5 mp with DX and 12 mp with FX)? What is the cameras maximum shooting fps at this setting?

Is the idea of using the 5:4 setting as an automatic crop if you are targeting an 8X10 print size?

What are the some of the main reasons that someone would use this feature?

Lisa

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    It will shoot 9 fps at this setting too. I use it when shooting at events like concerts, etc. makes for fast editing and less time when going straight from raw to JPG for fast prints.

If I shot a lot of weddings I would use this feature a lot too.

3. I use the 5:4 setting at racing events because the target sales are 8x10, I frame tightly, and it's just easier to ensure I frame the shot correctly and don't clip the subject in final edit. Frame rate is close to the same and there's not enough volume difference shooting RAW on the 8GB card to really notice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.