quick and dirty tricks for layering pictures!

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by andrewthomasdesigns, Jun 13, 2007.

1. so you have two pictures you want to layer on top of eachother for some reason, and you don't have a nifty plug-in or something to do it for you.

So you get both on top of eachother and you're messing with skew and whatnot, but you can't keep the two pictures straight as far as which one needs to move - even when one is at 75% and the bottom one is 100%... what do you do?

Easy, make a layer of a solid color (green, red, something) and put it to about 10%. Then put that layer in between the two you're working with. Now one is green and the other isn't!

This is what we did on light tables back in the day when working with film in the print industry - other than the color was some werid film thing we made - I forget the name off the top of my head.

I'm sure most of you know this, but it's a simple easy trick and makes life easier!

=)

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You :>)))))

3. brownie2d2x

brownie2d2x Guest

Thanks very much. I'll try that.:smile:

4. Are you using different images? I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to do.

If you have the same image and the two layers aren't aligned... change the top image to Difference in layer blend mode. Use the keyboard arrows to move it around. When the picture goes BLACK you have aligned the two images.

5. Serrator

Serrator

Aug 1, 2006
    Missouri
    I was wondering the same thing??

I like this approach...thanks.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chip has it right:>))))

7. I didn't know about this, thanks for sharing.

But sometimes it's not the same image and I have to go and use a lot of skew and transform to put things together.