Quick portraits with the CX 70-300 !

JPS

Last saturday I was invited to a friend's anniversary, so I grabbed my Nikon V1 and only the CX 70-300 ! Here's a few "robbed" portraits shot in natural light, HANDHELD (look at the EXIF datas !) !

The shooting distances were between 7 and 9 feet ! They all are veeery slightly cropped (no more than 10/15 %) and gently PP'ed ! As usual, the EXIF datas are embedded in each image !

More and more I'm astonished by the sharpness of the 70-300 wide open !

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:)
J-P.

JPS

Again as I wrote, I'm astonished by the efficiency of the VR in the Nikon 1 serie ! Just look at the shutter-speed versus the FX equivalent focal lengths ! How many EV of gain ? ....and ALL the shots have been done HANDHELD ! ....and I'm 68 years old, far from having Sylvester Stalone muscles and steadiness !!

Image #1: 1:60 at 201.1mm. (FX equivalent = 543mm !!!)

Image #2: 1:15 at 70mm. (FX equivalent = 189mm !)

Image #3: 1:8 at 138.5mm. (FX equivalent = 374mm !!!)

Image #4: 1:13 at 215.5mm. (FX equivalent = 582mm !!!!)

Image #5: 1:20 at 126.4mm. (FX equivalent = 341mm !)

Image #6: 1:20 at 107.9mm. (FX equivalent = 291mm !!)

Image #7: 1:10 at 157.2mm. (FX equivalent = 424mm !!!)

Image #8: 1:15 at 115.1mm. (FX equivalent = 313mm !!)

:D
J-P.

JPS

Thanks Kees !

While shooting, I didn't bother checking the shutter-speed.... I only had set the V1 to Aperture Priority, Single Frame and Auto ISO with a maximum of 400 !

It's only when I checked the EXIF datas in ViewNX that I noticed the shutter-speeds !

Well, I KNOW that I would NEVER try to shoot at such crazy slow shutter-speeds wit my D800 and any FX lens !

J-P.

JPS

Nice shots JPS! Man that 70-300cx has some very good image stabilization or you are a rock. ;)
Thanks Chuck !

Naaan, I'm very far from being a rock... not even a pebble ! ....plus, these pics have been shot by the end of a busy side_of_swimming-pool barbecue day, well "watered" (read beer'ed, whisky'ed, etc...), so my stability as well emotional as physical was rather compromised at this time !

Hence I think the compliments must be directed to the excellent VR system of the Nikon 1 !

:D
J-P.

Last edited:

JPS

Those were wow

Is that v3
No, Randy, just the old V1 !

I ordered a V3 with the EVF and grip in Switzerlsnd, mid-June, before going there for a month, and by the beginning of August it wasstill backordered ! So I will wait for the V4, if ever.......

;)
J-P.

JPS

T
Nice.

Nice to see that the old V1 can still deliver the goods. Still no availability of the lens in the UK.
Thanks Ian !

I definitely don't understand Nikon policy.... Both the V3 plus accessories and CX 70-300 are not available anywhere in the world in order to please the customers, and make some more $$$......

I allready dropped the idea of buying a V3 ! Even if I found one now, I'm so pi$$ed-off with them that I wouldn't get it ! ...but as I like the "babies" Nikon, I might just wait next year and get a V4, if ever they continue the Nikon 1 line !

J-P.

J-P

The V3 with 10-30 EVF and grip is in stock in the Uk at £1049 :cool: But no sign of the lens which is still on pre-order at £849. I don't want a V3 as I am quite happy with the V1 and the fact that it uses the same battery's as my D800.

JPS

?.......The V3 with 10-30 EVF and grip is in stock in the Uk at £1049 :cool: But no sign of the lens which is still on pre-order at £849. I don't want a V3 as I am quite happy with the V1 and the fact that it uses the same battery's as my D800.
Thanks for the tips, but this is a CRAZY price ! In Switzerland, we will (when, I don't know, though :meh:) get the same kit for CHF 1170.- (roughly £ 774.-) !!!

Have a look at http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_346767.html !

;)
J-P.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom