Quick question about AIS wides

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by nancyr, Jun 1, 2007.

1. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    My 24/2 and 28/2 AIS both have more play in focus than my other AIS lenses (50/1.4, 135/2, 200/2, all bought used). I can live with it, but if they could be as smooth as the 50, I'd be a very happy shooter.

Is this due to age/use, or is it more typical of the wides? Would a CLA fix it, or are they just worn? We have a great repair shop here in SD (Kurt's in El Cajon), but I don't want to drive all the way out there for a "that's just old lenses, lady."

Thanks for helping me be lazy. :redface:

2. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    My 28 mm /f2 focus is smooth as butter, no play at all.

3. My 24/2, as well as my other Ai(S) lenses, are very smooth Nancy. I also have a dud 50/1.4 with noticeable play in focus - simply because it is old and beat up. It was a "bad experience" from a very active eBay seller of nikon MF lenses :mad:. It has other issues also, so I wrote it off and simply got another one (from Cafe member Andreas): a gem this time.
    CLA may fix it. But if the lens is fine otherwise and the bit of play does not affect the focusing result, I would just live with it.
    Now, about that 200/2 of yours.....:smile:

4. There is no play . . .

. . . in the focusing mechanism on either of my 28/2s or on my 35/1.4.

I do have a 50 that's sloppy and one of my 75-150's has a bit of wiggle as well, but the wides (well, normals on the D200 I'm shooting now, but wides on my F4) I have are some of the most perfect feeling (and most enjoyable to use) manual focus primes I own.

Greg

5. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    As I thought. I don't notice it much when shooting, and both were bargains, so no sweat. Maybe I pick a fave and "upgrade" sometime.

Frits, 200 looks like hell, focuses like butta. :wink:

Thanks, everyone!

6. kjoosten

kjoosten

May 1, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I bought an "E" grade 28/2 from KEH and the focus was loose as a goose. Sent it back. That helped to justify the Zeiss 25/2.8. Talk about smooooth...

7. I have two 28/2s . . .

. . . and both of them are smooth without being loose at all, no play. They feel just about perfect.

The one KEH sent you probably was a little more used than its exterior looked, or it was just a dud, FWIW.

Greg

8. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    I wonder what sellers do and don't check sometimes. My first 24/2 (AI) appeared just fine, as described, good mechanics. But shot wide open, it looked like when the eye doctor tests you for astigmatism. Could've made for some fun bokeh, but I returned it and later found this one.

9. KEH is a quality operation, but they do not check items to the point of using them - there's just too much material for them to do that. They catch all of the obvious stuff, as I've never gotten anything from them other than a focusing screen that was obviously well out of their rating scheme. But subtle things, like a telephoto focusing to 100 feet but not to infinity, a meter that deviates wildly from accurate - but only once in 10 tries, and the like, are just not caught. Fortunately they are very good about making things right if you bring it to their attention.

I have repeatedly heard less good things about the used operations at both B&H (surprisingly) and Adorama, but so far KEH has given me no reason to buy used gear from another commercial operation.