quick question for all u program masters out there.

is there any program for mac that will tell you the focus distance that the pic was taken at. or is this info even enbeded on the file at all when the pic is taken. i know its probably not a crutial piece of information but i would like to know if there is out there. currently the only programs that i use are aperture and CS. i'm thinking that if there is any hope of this its probably Capture right?

well thanks for looking and any help.
fred

All Apples come with a program called "GraphicConveter". Open your photo with this and then select Window/Show information. Scroll down and read the focal length, ie if your camera recorded it.

Play around a bit with GC. It does some neat things and hardly ever gets talked about.

Chet

All Apples come with a program called "GraphicConveter". Open your photo with this and then select Window/Show information. Scroll down and read the focal length, ie if your camera recorded it.

Play around a bit with GC. It does some neat things and hardly ever gets talked about.

Chet
If that it what he is looking for, hence my question, then as Larry stated it is readily available in Aperture's EXIF metadata.

It's not really a rangefinder.

I think you guys are answering the easy question. "Focus distance" I take to mean how faraway the point of focus actually is. Since it's *contrast* that's measured to define point of focus, and not truly distance, I would believe that this data is never even available to the camera.

I think you guys are answering the easy question. "Focus distance" I take to mean how faraway the point of focus actually is. Since it's *contrast* that's measured to define point of focus, and not truly distance, I would believe that this data is never even available to the camera.
Exactly why I posted a question first and not an answer. I didn't think he was looking for the focal length.

With "D" and "G" lenses the focus distance IS available to the camera. I'm not sure if it's recorded anywhere though and I believe it's only used for flash exposure calculations.

Ronnie

sorry bout the delay guys, not had access to here for a day or two. i know aperture has that focal distance. moffo got it right. i'm looking for how far away the subject was.

i know that that info is available since its used for flash exposure like ronnie said. but i too don't think it to be recorded anywhere. i just thought to ask since it didn't hurt to and two brains are better than one and lord knows there are too many knowledgeable people here to pass up.

thanks again guys
fred

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom