quick question for all u program masters out there.

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by azzkikr, Apr 1, 2007.

1. azzkikr

azzkikr

Jan 25, 2006
    Dalton,ga
    is there any program for mac that will tell you the focus distance that the pic was taken at. or is this info even enbeded on the file at all when the pic is taken. i know its probably not a crutial piece of information but i would like to know if there is out there. currently the only programs that i use are aperture and CS. i'm thinking that if there is any hope of this its probably Capture right?

well thanks for looking and any help.
    fred

2. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    You don't mean the focal length of the lens do you?

3. I believe Aperture displays this in the EXIF data when modern lenses are used. Displaying it is an option and has to be selected.

4. All Apples come with a program called "GraphicConveter". Open your photo with this and then select Window/Show information. Scroll down and read the focal length, ie if your camera recorded it.

Play around a bit with GC. It does some neat things and hardly ever gets talked about.

Chet

5. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    If that it what he is looking for, hence my question, then as Larry stated it is readily available in Aperture's EXIF metadata.

6. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    It's not really a rangefinder.

I think you guys are answering the easy question. "Focus distance" I take to mean how faraway the point of focus actually is. Since it's *contrast* that's measured to define point of focus, and not truly distance, I would believe that this data is never even available to the camera.

7. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Exactly why I posted a question first and not an answer. I didn't think he was looking for the focal length.

8. With "D" and "G" lenses the focus distance IS available to the camera. I'm not sure if it's recorded anywhere though and I believe it's only used for flash exposure calculations.

Ronnie

9. azzkikr

azzkikr

Jan 25, 2006
    Dalton,ga
    sorry bout the delay guys, not had access to here for a day or two. i know aperture has that focal distance. moffo got it right. i'm looking for how far away the subject was.

i know that that info is available since its used for flash exposure like ronnie said. but i too don't think it to be recorded anywhere. i just thought to ask since it didn't hurt to and two brains are better than one and lord knows there are too many knowledgeable people here to pass up.

thanks again guys
    fred