Quick question on Z6 video FPS options

I'm just starting to get more into video now on my Z cameras, but I'm just a little confused over the movie specification options offered for slow motion.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these please (from the Z6/Z7 user manual)?

1920x1080; 120p

1920x1080; 30p x 4 (slow motion)

Doesn't the latter shoot at 120FPS but playback at 30fps, if so what's the difference to the first option ?

Real Name
Jake
The latter option converts to slo-mo in camera, saving PP time but lowering the quality of the footage. The former, on the other hand, keeps it at real-time 120fps, preserving image quality and, if you're like me, allowing you to make real-time 120fps projects.

Ah right, so if I understand correctly, if I import the former into Davinci Resolve on a 30p timeline, then I can set the playback speed to 0.25x and it will playback smoothly at 4x slow motion, but in camera it doesn't playback in slow motion.

If I import the latter into the same timeline, then it will already be at 30p so no need to slow it down but the quality would be worse (and in camera would playback already in slow motion)?

Actually I just found on page 116 of the user manual that 1920x1080; 120P is recorded at 144Mbps, where as 1920x1080; 30p x 4 (Slow Motion) is only recorded at 36Mbps (so I see what you mean about a difference in quality).

Real Name
Jake
Ah right, so if I understand correctly, if I import the former into Davinci Resolve on a 30p timeline, then I can set the playback speed to 0.25x and it will playback smoothly at 4x slow motion, but in camera it doesn't playback in slow motion.

If I import the latter into the same timeline, then it will already be at 30p so no need to slow it down but the quality would be worse (and in camera would playback already in slow motion)?

Actually I just found on page 116 of the user manual that 1920x1080; 120P is recorded at 144Mbps, where as 1920x1080; 30p x 4 (Slow Motion) is only recorded at 36Mbps (so I see what you mean about a difference in quality).
That is correct.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom