1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Quick question...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Donzo98, May 25, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    When using a screw drive (non-AFS lens) in manual focus mode is it necessary to switch the focus switch on the body to manual focus as well or is it OK to just switch it on the lens??

2. Quick answer: I didn't know the screw drive lenses had a switch on them... but then, I've only ever had three, the 70-300D, 50 18., and 50 1.4.

3. Don, the main screw-drive lens I use is my 200/4 micro. I leave the lens switch in the manual position without moving the camera switch form AF and it works great-the mechanical linkage back to the camera drive is definitely disengaged.

4. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Thanks Dave...that is exactly the lens I was talking about. I was worried that if I didn't switch the body too I might be damaging the body in some way.

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi don-

it depends on the lens. based on the lenses i have, nikon AF lenses will disgengage if you swith them to M mode. tokina (and maybe sigma) lenses with their MF clutch system need to have the body set to M, otherwise you have the motor working even harder to drive the lens.

in general, it's a good idea to set the body to M as this will completely disengage (mechanically and electrically) the internal motor.

ricky

6. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Both my Tokina 12-24 and Nikon 35-70 f/2.8D have a MF/AF mode selector that allows the lens to be manually focused without having to select MF mode on the D200 body.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.