Quick Release Plate vs. L-Plate for D300 with MB-D10

I'm getting ready to order either a quick release plate or an L-Plate for my D300 with MB-D10. The L-Plate cost is substantially more than the quick release plate and the only real advantage I can anticipate is ability to use the camera in a vertical position with the L-Plate.

I can not remember EVER using my D-200 in a vertical position on the tripod and wonder if the additional cost is justified??

How about sharing some of your experience with me? Might save some money which could be better spent elsewhere . . . :wink:

Or . . . might point out some additional advantages of the more expensive L-Plate . . . ??

Ralph

I'm getting ready to order either a quick release plate or an L-Plate for my D300 with MB-D10. The L-Plate cost is substantially more than the quick release plate and the only real advantage I can anticipate is ability to use the camera in a vertical position with the L-Plate.

I can not remember EVER using my D-200 in a vertical position on the tripod and wonder if the additional cost is justified??

How about sharing some of your experience with me? Might save some money which could be better spent elsewhere . . . :wink:

Or . . . might point out some additional advantages of the more expensive L-Plate . . . ??

Ralph

Ralph,

I've ordered the L-Plate over the quick release plate mostly because of the ease of capturing vertical images. I tend to shoot images from a tripod and find it extremely frustrating to do so without the L-Plate. Without the L-Plate, the camera drops a few inches when placed vertically and it is difficult to maneuver with the ballhead locked down in that notch. As a result, I don't shoot vertically as often as I would like without the L-Plate.

Other than that, I don't see any particular advantage to the L-Plate.

Glenn

I agree with Glenn on movement when the camera is on its side.

In addition, you can keep the same area of interest in the frame and remain in-focus using the L-Plate. I feel a bit out of sorts without one for the D300 yet.

The only down side I see to the L-plate is that it is harder to open up the doors on the side of the camera (at least with the d200)

-Matt

I take it the L-Plate will just attach to the grip and when you replace the battery in the camera body, both the L-Plate and grip come off easily in one piece or will you have to take each off separately?

I have a RRS L bracket on order from the D300 without grip and am contemplating ordering the grip now....

I have the RRS L-Plate on order, because I definitely make use of the vertical orientation that is made possible. A couple examples:

fbm-bowie-proto-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

fbm-bowie-proto-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I just called RRS, and they told me that the first batch of L-Plates for the D300 are only a couple days out. Apparently, nearly 200 were pre-ordered, and I am number five. Mine is expected to ship on Thursday. I am only three hours north of them, so I may see mine as early as this Friday.

I take it the L-Plate will just attach to the grip and when you replace the battery in the camera body, both the L-Plate and grip come off easily in one piece ....

I believe that's correct. At least on the D200, the L-Plate and grip come off easily in one piece. Logical that the D300 would work the same way . . .

Ralph

I had one before for the D80 w grip. it was nice. kinda miss it. I only had a plate for the D200. this time I preordered the Kirk L-bracket. I dont use it all that much but its sure nice when you do use it.

right now all my lens dont have tripod colars so I have no way of using the tripod at all. lol! other than a generic 4" plate I had for lens.

wonder how much longer till Kirk ships.

What I did is build a "universal" L bracket using RRS parts. I simply attach that to the non-L plate on the camera and it becomes portrait capable.

This way I don't have the larger L plate attached to the camera. Also saved a few hundred bucks between the various cameras.

Personally

I prefer the L bracket even when hand holding...it never comes off.

Especially with the D300 being so narrow on the left side, when changing lenses, TC's etc., there isn't a whole lot of camera body to hold onto on that side and the L bracket makes it a heck of a lot more secure doing these things (how's that for a run on sentence eh?)

Even on my D2 bodies, I never took the L brackets off.

I didn't attach L brackets to my D200s, but I did attach vertical grips. It's easier to switch orientation on a tripod mounted camera using an L bracket. I purchased L brackets for my D2X and D2HS and I am totally sold on their ease of use, especially with an arca-swiss compatible ballhead or QR clamp. RRS has a mini tutorial on their website. I also received a DVD with my BH55 and that explained the benefits of quickly switching between portrait and landscape orientation.

Personally, I'll never have another camera without an L-bracket. It's just so much easier to use when swapping between portrait and landscape orientations that the cost doesn't even come into consideration.

Bill

The RRS L-Plate for my D300 (sans battery pack) shipped to me today (I received the UPS shipment notification with tracking number), and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. :biggrin:

Huh...I just emailed RRS about the L plate I ordered about a month ago for my D300 and I received the following...

"We will begin shipment of these plates next week. Please check back with us later on next week so see if you were in the first batch of shipped plates. Thank you."

*CHELSEA

The RRS L-Plate for my D300 (sans battery pack) shipped to me today (I received the UPS shipment notification with tracking number), and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. :biggrin:

That seems kind of strange given that RRS is still taking "pre-orders" for these plates. They claim they need more time to produce the plates given that they just recently received the camera.

Are you sure you ordered the L-Plate?

Glenn

Yep, I ordered the L-Plate (#BD300-L). When I spoke with RRS early this week, I was told that I was the fifth person to order one, and that their first batch was expected to arrive today. Well, they must have arrived yesterday, because mine shipped yesterday, and will arrive today. My guess is that the first batch was small, so that if they found any problems the potential loss would be minimized. They must have been fine, since they shipped them. I am glad that I ordered mine early.

First batch did indeed ship out yesterday for delivery. Another batch is going out today as well.

Being the persistent person I am...I emailed them again...and sure enough, some of the L-Plates have shipped. Chelsea was not aware they had started to go out. Hope to get mine by the end of the week, beginning of next.

Let us know how it fits!

My D300 RRS L-Plate arrived, as expected. I installed. Wow. I like its fit much better than the one I have on my D200. In particular, there is now enough room for my finger to open the flap to expose the USB cable plug. For the D200 one, there wasn't quite enough room. And, it fits perfectly. :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom