Quick shots w/ 85mm 1.8

Discussion in 'People' started by danmab, Jun 5, 2007.

1. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The sun finally broke through yesterday afternoon and was splashing onto our kitchen floor, so I quickly grabbed the D80 w/ 85 1.8 and pleaded for my 3 year old to sit in the sun and look at daddy :tongue:
    Also took one of the family dog, since she was right there.
    I am disappointed in the blown highlights, but for quick grabs, I think they work.

531682749_e5479964f9_o.

531682763_ee1ba572f1_o.

View attachment 99156

View attachment 99157

View attachment 99158

Just realized, this is my first posting with pictures attached. Hopefully this works!

Thoughts?

2. cute pics, what a fun age, eh!?! I know what you mean about the blown highlights....when I had my D80, I was student of the "avoid matrix metering" in lighting situations like these...were you using matrix?

A couple of things I did was to either a) use center or spot metering on say the face or b) set the exposure for the highlight, "hold" it w/ the AEL-AFL button, and then use fill flash (even the on-board one), dialed down say -0.3 or -0.7.

3. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Chris,
    I actually was using center metering, but had the focus point on her eyes, which probably created the blown highlights off her cheek.
    In this intance, what you suggest on taking exp on the cheek, holding and using fill flash makes perfect sense in hindsight.

4. Looking good, boss.

5. #3 is very good. The rest suffer from the mistaken idea that portraits and direct sun work together... they don't. Wait for an overcast day, set that lens to f2.8, set your camera to Aperture Priority, and go outside and shoot some real portraits.

Do not shoot portraits in direct sun.

6. He could also find some open shade, like on the side of a building.

7. Agree, but with reservations. You lose the options of shooting from different directions. As long as you don't point the camera toward the area under sunlight you'll be okay. Otherwise you wind up with over exposed BG's or exposure issues.

Overcast is God's softbox.

Thank you God.

original.

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Very cute...try putting it in a collage...I could see that would look great.

9. allenxchu

allenxchu Guest

great pictures!

10. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the input!
    @Seneca, good idea -- my wife actually wants to have that done to send as a framed picture to the parents.
    I actually reconfigured my D80 to allow for the use of the AE-Lock button (have never used it before). I look forward to trying out new techniques.

11. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I think that #4 is my favorite-I love the contemplative look that she has there. Also, I don't know that the blown highlights really bother me a ton although a little highlight recovery would be nice. Was the image shot at 1.8? I think that the depth-of-field might be a bit too shallow in this portrait.

12. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Paul, yeah it was at 1.8. I set the camera to shutter priority at ss of 160 and just shot away. Shooting at 1.8 seems to be a really finicky trick -- I shot this one is burst mode, and this was the only one that got her eyes in focus. She kept moving around at this point so the focal plane kept switching from her hair strands.