1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Quick visit to Viera Wetlands

Discussion in 'Birds' started by tony-b, Feb 10, 2019.

1. SRHEdD and I spent a little bit of yesterday morning at the Viera Wetlands. It was a cool morning with a lot of traffic during our visit. Still managed to get a few keepers and have fun with a friend.

20190209-NZ7_4396.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20190209-NZ7_4432-Edit_B&W Artistic.jpg

20190209-NZ7_4486.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. #3 is very nice

3. I like 3. I was there a few weeks ago and spotted that bird but it would not come into the open for me.

A fine ad for the Z7.

4. Nice position on the bird and detail in no.1. The vignette is a bit overdone IMO. No.3 is nice. Overall not a bad takeaway for the morning.

5. Excellent Purple Gal. Yeah, the traffic is getting worse every day. It is bringing lots of people who don't get it...speeding, letting dogs loose, etc. Oh well.

6. cgilyeat

cgilyeat

Sep 30, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Very nice, especially #3. There can be a lot of traffic there, especially on the weekends. That's why I prefer to only go during the week and avoid Saturday and Sunday.

7. Thanks everyone. I hope we have more opportunities at the meet-up, March 29-31st. Or at least favorable weather.

8. I didn't realize it at the time, but I guess I was lucky during my visit. The roads were closed to all traffic, so I walked in. Needless to say, that cut way down on the number of people at some of the more distant locations.

Glenn

9. Hi Glenn - They close the roads when they are soft from the rain to try to keep the ruts under control. If the weather cooperates, I enjoy the walk around the wetlands. And yes, it is so much quieter when closed to motor vehicles.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD

Mar 20, 2017
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I love #1!!
    Tony and I shot all the same birds! Except for this one I almost ignored, but it kept chirping at me. Sorry, not a Nikon...
    I think this is a female Boat-tailed Grackle.

DSCF1080b.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD

Mar 20, 2017
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Tony, make us WALK next time... I could use the exercise, and it gives me an excuse for beers after.

12. Beer?? Ok, we’re walking!

13. TG for the 500pf because walking my 500e isn’t fun

• Like Like x 1
  14. Neither is the Sigma 150-600 Sport. I'm thinking of replacing it with the 500pf.

15. I sold that one fast then I tried the 200-500 , another too fat lens
    I’ll gladly trade IQ and fun for any of the big zooms

16. I'm coming around to your way of thinking. Last time I was at the wetlands I walked with the 300pf on the Z7. It was a blast to use. I think I can sacrifice zoom versatility for lighter weight, IQ and fun.

17. If the IQ got worse than maybe the big zoom but the IQ got better especially AF speed so the 500pf is an easy decision

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.