Quiet Hour with a Snowy

Did you ever go fishing at the wrong time of the day... just to go fishing? You fuss with your gear and toss in your line just to enjoy the peace and quiet. Catching a fish isn't necessary.

I did the same thing down at the lake today. I rigged up my d70 with the 80-200/2.8 and Kenko 1.4x, climbed down the steep bank to the lake, and planted myself near one of the snowy egrets' favorite fishing holes. The sun was too high, the shadows too dark, and I knew the chances of getting a good shot were slim. But that wasn't the point. Being there was.

43305760.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 8739
View attachment 8740
View attachment 8741
View attachment 8742
View attachment 8743
View attachment 8744
View attachment 8745
View attachment 8746

And how was your day?

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
you are an amzing guy, Uncle Frank. Love your sense of humor, but how perfect these pictures are. Well exposed and it looks like you spent your time well. Thanks for sharing.

WOw, these are great shots!

Definitely my very favorite shorebird! Super details. Well worth your efforts!

Very nice series Frank. I'm so jealous. 8)

Still nothing but honkers and quackers for the most part at our local pond. I did see a GBH fly over though, and we saw a little green heron on Sunday. He was behind a branch though, so we didn't get any decent shots.

You are so right. Many times I'll go fishing and not care if I catch anything or not. If I do it's a bonus. Being there does seem to be a lot of it. and you certainly pick some good spots.

Thanks for all the generous comments, folks!

Dave, they're far from perfect, but I'm glad you liked them... and my twisted humor :twisted:.

Steve, they're my favorite shorebird, too, and I consider myself incredibly lucky to have so many of them at the local lake!

Paul, the 80-200/Kenko 1.4X combo is working so well that I'm questioning if I really need that 300/4 after all :shock:. The birds seem to tolerate me pretty well, as long as the fishing is good.

Frank, maybe you should start scouting around, and find out where that GHB lives...

Gordon, I had a very relaxed session with the egrets. As we discussed, it's the antithesis of a wedding shoot. No performance pressure at all 8).

Greg. you're my kind of guy. Going fishing is the important thing... not catching fish :wink:.

Nice shots, Frank! I'm not a fisherman, so I've never done the bait drowning thing, but I have done the same thing looking for birds when I thought they wouldn't be there. It sure helps you relax -- especially when you get some great shots as a bonus!

drueter said:
I have done the same thing looking for birds when I thought they wouldn't be there. It sure helps you relax...

Don, looking through your gallery, I don't think you get shut out very often 8).

So what's with the Dr. Nuke handle? I like it. Why don't you use it as your sreen name here?

Great shots

Frank,

Which flavor of the 80-200 are you using. I have the 80-200 f2.8D AF but it isn't the "S" model. I've been trying to find a decent TC to use with it.

Mine is the one that doesn't have a tripod foot so I use the Kirk mount on it.

Uncle Frank said:
Don, looking through your gallery, I don't think you get shut out very often 8).

So what's with the Dr. Nuke handle? I like it. Why don't you use it as your sreen name here?

Thanks for the kind comments Frank. I have a lot of great opportunities right out my back door now, so I usually see something and head out to stalk it -- don't get shut out nearly as much.

On the dr_ nuke handle, I'm a retired nuclear engineer and came up with that screen name when I first joined that other forum. Decided to be less anonymous here, given the nice atmosphere of the cafe!

I loved looking through this series....I felt the peace you must have gotten just being there. For me, these days it's gardening. I'm just about done planting the veggies and herbs so now it's a matter of keeping the buggy little weeds out. But that's not the point either....it's the quiet and the time of just being outside. Thanks for sharing your natural prozak moment with us.

Latest threads

Top Bottom