1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Quinalt Rain Forest

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, Oct 4, 2018.

1. We recently traveled to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. How we loved our time there. The skies were totally blue all week with hardly a cloud in the sky which made for tough photography. The Hoh Rainforest road is closed right now, so we traveled further to see the Quinalt Rain Forest. Living in a high country desert we always appreciate the lush green foliage of a wetter climate. It was beautiful. I have many more photos to process but will share three of the first ones finished. (Since I have been having issues with my back, I carried around the little D5600 and kit lens as a walk around camera on this trip. It's high ISO performance in this dark forest did not disappoint. It was such a great purchase for me. I did carry my D610 around a little but it always caused me some issues. I'm grateful that Nikon is making these little entry level cameras as good as they are!!)
    _56D1410.
    NIKON D5600    18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6    40mm    f/8.0    1/100s    ISO 900
    _56D1411-Edit.
    NIKON D5600    18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6    30mm    f/8.0    1/100s    ISO 2800
    _56D1321-Edit.
    NIKON D5600    18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6    18mm    f/5.6    1/100s    ISO 2000

• Like Like x 2
  2. Terri,

These images are excellent. You did a great job under some very challenging lighting conditions. Many would not even attempt it.

Glenn

3. All of these have a very "3-D" look about them--lot's of depth and detail in fore, middle background!

4. Well done Terri, it's great place to visit isn't it.

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    this is the proof that the shooter matters a lot more than the gear, these are excellent

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I've attempted it in similarly bad conditions and didn't do nearly as well.

7. Very well done, Terri. You and that little camera are bonding well.

I've used almost nothing but my D5500 these last few weeks.

8. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    Nice job, Terry. Not easy subject matter in the best conditions. I really like no.3.

9. All very nice compositions. The sensor in the 5600 is good and the kit lenses have improved over the years.

Larry

10. Thank you, Glenn. We were on a tight schedule so I had to try no matter what the conditions. I probably won’t make it. There again for a long time.

12. I guess 3-D is a good thing. It’s a very busy subject matter. These all took lots of post processing.

13. Thanks, Louis! We loved it there. It’s incredibly beautiful!

14. Thank you, Randy. Post processing was key. The originals were really discouraging. I worked hard to keep the blown highlights to a minimum when shooting. It’s amazing how much can. Be recovered with these modern sensors.

15. Thanks, Mike. It took a lot of post processing. Good thing I enjoy that part of the process.

16. I can see why. Great little cameras! I love mine!

17. I agree about not easy. Those woods are so dark. We didn’t have the luxury of a lot of time for tripod shooting. There was a lot we wanted to see in 9 days.

18. Thank you, Larry. I’m impressed how good the sensor and kit lens are!

19. Excellent shots Terri. Lovely compositions and the exposures are spot on.

20. Thank you, Binnur!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.