Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by keirin, Apr 28, 2007.

1. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    I've been looking out for our backyard screech owl to make a daylight appearance, but apparently it's secretly been keeping an eye on me, too.

[​IMG]

This morning, it finally summoned the confidence to come out from cover. . .

[​IMG]

2. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    That's very cool.

3. I have been waiting for these shots, Nice to see him come out!!!

4. Blue

Blue Guest

You caught that patch of sunlight on his face very well, very nice shot!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    niceeeeeeee

6. Wonderful! So glad he's put in an appearance - that first shot is superb. Having just the one eye really makes the shot.

7. Cool shots!

8. Priceless first shot....and then when it emerges!!!

9. Excellent! Really nice close-ups!

10. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    Many thanks to all who've left comments. Although the bird gives relatively close access, these pictures are still all massive crops. It made another appearance this morning about the same time and I was ready with a 2x tc fitted on my 300 f/4 (longest glass I have). I knew in advance that the results would lack analytical sharpness, but you always hope for more. . .

[​IMG]

For the duration of its residency (another month or so, as I recall from last year), I'll have periodic photo ops, but they'll not offer much variety of perspective. Since the bird will pretty much always be in the same spot (peering from that hole in the tree), any suggestions about how to get photos with different "looks" are most welcome (sorry, recommendations that start with bolting on a $2.5K+ lens are not viable options). Although I should, over time, be able to maneuver closer still, at a certain point the lens is pointing straight up into the owl's nostrils.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2007