R.I.P. - Dakota, 4/1995 - 5/2/2007

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by smccready, May 4, 2007.

1. Dakota lost her 6-month battle with cancer yesterday. She'd been doing well until recently, but over the last couple of weeks had declined pretty steadily, developing some mobility problems that were caused by the cancer spreading to her spine. She's been living with my ex-wife since we split up in 2004, but I've always had liberal 'visitation' rights. I wasn't there with her when they put her to sleep, but my ex-wife and her current boyfriend were, so I'm comforted in knowing that she said goodbye to this world in the company of people who loved her.

She was an SPCA rescue, who'd come to them as a stray. She'd been adopted once and returned because of digging problems (which she never had when we owned her), we used to joke that she realized she wasn't with the right family and found a way to get back to the SPCA so we could adopt her. She was the only dog in the kennel that wasn't barking, and we ended up adopting her even though we hadn't been planning to get a dog at all.

For Dakota, there were two groups of people: her friends, and people who weren't her friends...yet.

I've attached a couple of photos from our last "photo shoot" on 4/21.

[​IMG]

p712515839-4.

She now joins her old feline friend Max on the other side, where she'll continue to make friends and be a wonderful greeter. :Angel:

As it turns out, Dakota was being put to sleep at about the same time as my new wife and I were making the decision to keep a stray puppy that turned up in our neighborhood this past Friday. While we haven't finalized the decision, we are probably going to name her Phoenix. (No pictures yet, but watch this space...)

2. I am very sorry Steve. I bet she is with Max running around in the bone's-heaven :smile:

3. Sorry to hear this Steve. It sad loosing a family member.

Anthony

4. sorry Steve! This is always hard.

5. Steve,

I'm sorry! Dogs are such a part of our lives, they leave a big hole when they pass on. To be given the final gift of peace, amongst people she knew, is the best way any dog could go, Dakota knew she was loved.

Best of luck with the new puppy!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I feel really bad for you.
    I it so hard to lose a pup.
    Take care.

7. So sorry for your loss..

8. Brew

Brew Guest

So sorry for your loss.

I always wonder why I like dogs so much.
    Maybe it’s the way their snout curls up when they are happy to see you.
    The way their tail wags and smacks everything in the house while greeting you after a bad day at work.
    That look they get when you scratch their rumps.
    That mischievous look on their faces when they do something they know they shouldn’t be doing.
    The way they’ll curl up next to you and put their head across your lap when they realize you’re too tired to play with them.
    The way they’ll lick your face after you slid out from under the car while you’re trying to work on it.
    The way they look at you when they bring you one of their toys when they want to play.
    The way they play guardian and guard their people during thunderstorms.
    The way they are just always there for you.

What I don’t like about dogs!
    The short time they spend with you on this earth…

9. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    Sorry for your loss and know how hard this can be

10. So sorry to hear that I knwo how hard it is to loose a close friend we just had to put our Cat down a few weeks ago

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    well said Bruce. This is always tough.

I bet he was a good dog Steve, he looks like he was. :) Sorry, and to Mike for his loss too.

The best we can do, is care for them, and love them while they are here. Miss them when they are gone, and hold a special place in our heart to remember them.

12. Ditto on what others have sad. My 14 year old sheltie died at teh end of March. It was really sad for our family so I know how you feel.

You are looking at a new dog. We got one 2 weeks after Chelsea died. He has not bonded with me in the same way (yet) but a new dog certainly filled a void.

13. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm so sorry.....

14. Thanks, everyone. I've been going through all my old pictures of Dakota, which brings up a lot of sad feelings, but also happy memories. She was a great dog - I used to joke that she had more friends in my neighborhood than I did.