R.I.P. Glen Campbell

"Glen Campbell, the sweet-voiced, guitar-picking son of a sharecropper who became a recording, television and movie star in the 1960s and ’70s, waged a publicized battle with alcohol and drugs and gave his last performances while in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease, died on Tuesday in Nashville. He was 81."

I played Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy over and over during recess and drove the teachers nuts. He was a great musician.

I watched his I'll Be Me documentary and hoped he would have a short bout with that terrible disease :(. RIP Glen.

Sean

When I was a kid my Mom loved everything about his music. I remember being in awe over his guitar mastery. Lifetime memories.
I watched his show in 1969, when I was 22. My wife and I took a 6 week trip around the country in 1971. Back then we had to search for new music stations on AM every few hours. Glen was the only artist we heard everywhere.

I played Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy over and over during recess and drove the teachers nuts. He was a great musician.

I watched his I'll Be Me documentary and hoped he would have a short bout with that terrible disease :(. RIP Glen.

Sean
I watched that documentary a couple of times.....sad and inspiring. Even as he lost words, that incredible music was somehow still there. R.I.P. Glen Campbell.

He was a session musician as part of Hollywood's Wrecking Crew. Great documentary movie about it.

Those session guys have to be able to play anything, and get it right, and fast. He did not read music and for some of the complex arrangements they would give him a piano demo for what they wanted and that's all it took. There's real magic going on in a musician's head.

Latest threads

Top Bottom