R.I.P. Lotus 1-2-3

Oh, wow ... I also had no idea it was still around! I used to use that back in college (almost 20 years ago!) when I worked at a bookstore and sometimes did data entry.

Good grief, there's a relic from a bygone age! How quickly we forget what we once thought was revolutionary.

Somewhere in this old house, I still have one of the original PCs loaded with Peachtree (the first(?) integrated word processor/spreadsheet/database package). When 1-2-3 came out, I was astounded by its capabilities. Its developer, Jonathan Sachs, was honored a few of years ago for his pioneering work. FYI, Jonathan is an amateur photographer who also developed Picture Window Pro and founded Digital Light & Color.

Its sad how some of the technolgy of "yesterday" is already being forgotten. Time to go play my atari 2600 on my hi def 3d tv(battlezone in 3d is awesome).

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
You remember
PhotoStyler
dBase

I still have dBase III and dbase IV here around including all books (half a library).

Or do you remember the special edition mouse from Microsoft - the Iron Mouse?

Regards from Germany
Klaus

Chris,
working for Big Blue since 1997, I know what you mean. And yes, Klaus, I do also remember dBase III, WordStar and all the rest we lived as something revolutionary at the time.
Actually I liked both Lotus 1-2-3 and the SmartSuite and was very disappointed when I discovered the more recent programs we had preloaded in our platform couldn't read the old .lwp files. I had lots of things that had become unusable. What a pity!

Judging by all the comments in this thread, it sounds like they needn't have bothered making an announcement. I guess it was for those six people in a cave somewhere who were still using it...

Had 123 at work. It was ok. Tried to resist moving to Excel, but I got used to it. Lotus Notes was another thing tho. Worst software I was ever forced to use. After I retired, they finally dumped it. Lotus Notes is a 4 letter word to me.

I just want WordPerfect brought back! Loved it on my old Amiga, and also the old Mac OS.
I still use WordPerfect, in fact, I’m using it to compose this post as I always do and have done for years. I prefer it over MS Word unless I need to do tables, then Word is easier to use, and I was forced to use Word at work, so I learned it. Not as nice as WordPerfect. I’m rebuilding this computer and will be moving from Win XP to Win 7 and I’m sure hoping WordPerfect will work on Win 7... My other half just said yes. It does work on Win 7.

Anyone here remember VisiCalc? That's where I started on a AppleII Plus and then moved to lotus when I went PC a year or two later.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom