1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

R.I.P. Niki Lauda

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kilofoxtrott, May 21, 2019.

1. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    The three times F1 World Champion died at age of 70.
    After his horrible fire accident 1976 at the Nuerburgring he had transplanted a kidney two times and the lung once.
    He was manager of the Mercedes F1 team.

One of the best race drivers is gone
    Klaus

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Loved watching him drive, really was one of the greats.

3. A true legend.

4. A true legend indeed.

5. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Amazing man and competitor. He certainly made the most out of life and was truly a legend of the sport.

• Like Like x 1
  6. While I am not a motor sports follower, I used to know the names of the major drivers, especially years ago. Lauda's record and exploits were certainly familiar and respected, and after the movie, Rush, came out, many others knew of him. Amazing is an understatement. RIP, Niki.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. "Rush" is a must-see film. I can't even remember the name of the driver who won that year, but Niki Lauda is unforgettable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I remember as a teen, I had built a model of his Brabham BT46....
    F1 won't be the same without him....

9. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    As 8 year old boy I started to watch the Formula 1 races. Jack Brabham and Jim Clark were the best drivers in that time. It continued with Jackie Ickx, Niki Lauda, Jochen Rindt and Jody Scheckter in the 70's. Mario Andretti, Ronnie Peterson, Emerson Fittipaldi, Keke Rosberg were the heroes of the 80's. Then, in the 90's two stars were born: Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher. First one was the best talented driver, the other the perfect analyst. But don't forget Didier Pironi and Patrick Tambay or Gerhard Berger.

How many teams we've seen rising and falling or vanishing - Wolf Racing, Hesketh, March, BRM, ATS, Beneton, Jordan. Teams built by enthusiasts. And today? Money rules... Small teams will never get a chance.

Regards
    Klaus

10. In his own way, James Hunt was memorable :D 

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. My eras of F1 fandom were the '60's and 70's. Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, Jackie Stewart and who can forget Graham Hill with that ridiculous pencil-thin mustache. The thing I remember about Rindt is that he won the 1970 championship posthumously. Phil Hill is memorable to me as the first American to win an F1 championship. John Surtees was a hero to me as the first (and still only) man to win championships on motorcycles (7 of them) and on four wheels (he won F1 in '64 IIRC after he switched from Lotus to Ferrari).
    Very sad. True of lots of things. I raced for a year in SCCA many decades ago (F Production, Datsun 1600). Only could do it because of a good friend who was a great mechanic with well off parents. Still struggled to compete because a single mechanical issue cost an entire race. Today if you aren't sponsored or filthy rich you can't compete even down at the lowest levels of SCCA much less the big-boy circuits.

12. Sounds like most of us began our interest in the early 60's. They were all heroes.

13. And that's the million dollar question.
    How does F1 remain as the "Pinnacle of Motorsports" and yet reduce costs enough for small teams to be competitive....?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.