R.I.P Whitey Ford

This is especially sad and nostalgic for me as growing up we lived many years in the neighborhood around Yankee Stadium.

Ford was a native New Yorker who knew at an early age that he wanted to wear the pinstripes, which he did his whole illustrious 16-year career. By all accounts, he was also a nice guy and was adored by the fans.

Is anyone still around from those great late 50's and early 60's Yankee teams? It feels like the passing of an era.

We could have used Whitey and his scoreless streak last night.

And maybe not everyone swinging for the fences every at bat. What happened to bunting, moving runners over and driving them in with a base hit?

It may be time for a change in management. Whatever they are doing has been falling short every year despite huge payrolls.

Thanks for the list.

Analytics say go for the home run. I read 21 of the first 22 playoff games were won by the team that hit more home runs. Not exciting however, and very frustrating when guys like Judge strikeout several times a game.

What happened to bunting, moving runners over and driving them in with a base hit?

That has become much more difficult to do now that shifting the infield to address a batter's typical placement of the hit ball has become commonplace. As for bunting, they don't practice it like in the past, especially this year with the shortened training period before the season began, and aren't comfortable with it.

Watching highlights now, they seem commonplace. Homeruns and strikeouts.

So true. Fans of the Nationals are lucky to be able to watch Juan Soto, who has many home runs and few strike outs.

One reason homeruns are so common is because Statcast information proved that the best way to get a hit was to hit the ball over the infield; 85% of balls hit on the ground are outs. Statcast info also proved the ideal angle of the ball (and thus the swing) to hit a homerun, so hitters now know how to do it better than in the past. Hitting the ball over the infield and at the right angle produces lots more homeruns.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom