R-Strap

Found out about this through a subscription I have to Photojojo.com
This looks pretty handy for camera carrying, especially designed for sports photogs!

http://www.blackrapid.com/video.php?id=1

From my newsletter:

The Smartest Camera Strap Ever
R strap

~

We’ve been hearing a lot about the R-Strap lately, but we thought, “Really? It’s just a camera strap. What’s the big deal?”

Turns out it’s a really smart design. The strap hangs diagonally across your chest like a messenger bag, so:

1. It’s more comfortable than a neck strap, and…
2. Your camera stays out of the way at your hip.

The smart bit is the little slider attachment that allows you to glide the camera up the strap to your eye so you can take a picture. The camera moves, but the strap doesn’t.

Turns out it’s a really smart design. The strap hangs diagonally across your chest like a messenger bag, so:

1. It’s more comfortable than a neck strap, and…
2. Your camera stays out of the way at your hip.
I normally wear my "neck strap" in this fashion.

I have been using an R-Strap, the RS-2, for several weeks now. Frankly, I am quite flabbergasted at how much better my back, neck and shoulders feel. This time of year I shoot a minimum to 2-4 football games a day on Saturdays, and use either a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 or 400 f2.8 on monopod, with a 70-200 on the second body for sideline and endzone shots. It has been a literal pain to have this on a strap around my neck or even across my shoulder, as moving the camera can be a pain. My "normal" camera strap is the Optech Pro, which is quite comfortable generallly but it is a pain to access the camera quickly. As noted, the way the camera slides makes one-hand operation, even with the 70-200, a snap. I have even used this with a 200-400, the strap is plenty strong enough to hold this.

These folks are local to me, I had the good fortune to be at a local store when the owner was making a delivery, so I got an "in-person" demo. A couple of things to note:

1. Some people complain about the cheesy snap on the strap, the FastenR, check the web page the new ConnectR should be out about now.
2. Many folks, myself included, have asked about an Arca-Swiss adaptor. This is "in the works", but I did not get an ETA yet.

I like this strap so well that I will probably get a second. These may become my normal "walk-around" strap.

If you are wondering, as I was, why the RS-2, it has an adjust that allows you to get it on and off easier when wearing bulky clothing. This was done as one of the owners uses this when on his motorcyle, and with the RS-2 he can take the strap on and off while wearing his helmet also.

I have both an RS-1 and RS-2 (although I only use the RS-2, since it's longer and fits me better). I love it. I too use it when shooting sports, with a 70-200 on a D300, and a big lens on a monopod. I also use it when just 'walking around.' However, you should note that the new Connect-R is not a replacement for the Fasten-R -- it is a new connection that goes on the strap. You'll still need the Fasten-R, or a camera/lens plate with a D-ring, to attach your camera to the strap. The new Connect-R was designed to address some complaints that the clasp on the strap wouldn't hold. Personally, I've never had a problem, and my D300/MB-D10/70-200 combo is a fairly substantial amount of weight to carry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best $46 or so bucks I ever spent. I can walk around all day with my D300 w/grip and 17-55 mounted. I took off my camera strap for good and use my RS-1 all the time. I decided to go with the RS-1 because I did not want the extra pockets and stuff. Since I like the strap so much though, I might consider getting it to have one of each. Seriously consider this strap!

I see an RS-3 Camo listed on their website:

http://www.blackrapid.com/rs3-camo.php

Might be the best of both worlds between the RS-1 and RS-2. It offers the quick-release sizing adjustment, but includes just a cell phone holder, not all the pockets as the RS-2. Has anyone tried this model?

Thanks for posting this info. I did not know this product existed. It looks extremely useful.

However, you should note that the new Connect-R is not a replacemnt for the Fasten-R -- it is a new connection that goes on the strap. You'll still need the Fasten-R, or a camera/lens plate with a D-ring, to attach your camera to the strap. The new Connect-R was designed to address some complaints that the clasp on the strap wouldn't hold. Personally, I've never had a problem, and my D300/MB-D10/70-200 combo is a fairly substantial amount of weight to carry.

Correct, I "mis-typed", no, wait, it's Microsoft's fault, I could NEVER mis-type :redface::redface: Thanks for the clarification.

I see an RS-3 Camo listed on their website:

Might be the best of both worlds between the RS-1 and RS-2. It offers the quick-release sizing adjustment, but includes just a cell phone holder, not all the pockets as the RS-2. Has anyone tried this model?

Thanks for posting this info. I did not know this product existed. It looks extremely useful.

The RS-3, as I recall from looking at all three, is the same width as the RS-1. I prefer the wider strap of the RS-2, the pocket inside is a nice addition.

The RS-3, as I recall from looking at all three, is the same width as the RS-1. I prefer the wider strap of the RS-2, the pocket inside is a nice addition.

Bill,

Could you please measure the width of RS-2? I use (and like) Op/Tech Classic and Super Classic straps. I find Op/Tech Pro straps too wide, and I quit using them for that reason. I really appreciate it. Just trying to match up the width I am used to.

Thanks!

Bill,

Could you please measure the width of RS-2? I use (and like) Op/Tech Classic and Super Classic straps. I find Op/Tech Pro straps too wide, and I quit using them for that reason. I really appreciate it. Just trying to match up the width I am used to.

Thanks!

I'll do that for you tonight. If I get REALLY ambitious, but no promises, I might even photograph them side-by-side for you. Have you checked your local stores to see if any carry the Black Rapid? Out 2 best stores here do, but being local that is not too surprising.

I'll do that for you tonight. If I get REALLY ambitious, but no promises, I might even photograph them side-by-side for you. Have you checked your local stores to see if any carry the Black Rapid? Out 2 best stores here do, but being local that is not too surprising.

We only have 1 Nikon Pro dealer in the state. They have never heard of Black Rapid. :frown:

I am going to order 2 RS-2 straps for me, and 2 for my wife, along with 4 FastenR brackets. She is as amazed as I am about this invention. After all, BlackRapid has a 30 day full refund if you are not satisfied.

Does anyone using these see any reason why you could not use 2 RS-2's crossed simultaneously, one body + lens on each?

Thanks,

John

I have both the RS-1 and RS-2 and you can shoot with two cameras and they don't cross paths or run into one another. This has been the best addition to my gear kit for the last two years. I LOVE them. One of the best benefits of this strap which often goes unmentioned is that when your camera moves, the strap does not; meaning your clothes do not move around, only the camera does.

I have both the RS-1 and RS-2 and you can shoot with two cameras and they don't cross paths or run into one another. This has been the best addition to my gear kit for the last two years. I LOVE them. One of the best benefits of this strap which often goes unmentioned is that when your camera moves, the strap does not; meaning your clothes do not move around, only the camera does.

WOW!! This is exactly what I have wished was on the market! Since you can use both an RS-1 and an RS-2 I would expect 2) RS-2's would work well together, wouldn't you?

The wider RS-2 would appear to be more comfortable carrying a heavy load - correct?

Thank you for your fast response to my earlier post! :wink:

For those that have them. Are they comfortable with a lens which doesn't have a tripod mount ?

All of the videos seem to have them mounted to a lens with a tripod mount. I assume that you can screw it into the camera body or does that throw off the balance of the system ?

Wow, I am really behind the times on this strap!!! But after hearing all these great comments it is on my list to purchase next!!!

I am glad to hear such a positive rave review to this!

Thanks to everyone.

I am going to order 2 RS-2 straps for me,
John

You had mentioned that the Optech Pro strap was too wide for you, here are the measurements for the RS-2 and the Optech Pro.

Optech Pro: 2-3/8"
RS-2: 2-3/4"

Of course the way you carry the camera is quite different as well. I'm not sure that there is much difference in comfort with a heavy load. I don't have an RS-1, but I may see one tomorrow and can compare the width.

The only issue that sometimes happens is that the shoulder pad will slip off your shoulder, and down your back as you move the camera around. Easy to pull back up, but adding a bit of non-slip material wouldn't hurt if it becomes annoying.

For those that have them. Are they comfortable with a lens which doesn't have a tripod mount ?

All of the videos seem to have them mounted to a lens with a tripod mount. I assume that you can screw it into the camera body or does that throw off the balance of the system ?

Works great when using a shorter lens to connect to the camera. The problem with a longer lens is that then the camera hangs "lens pointing down" which might be a problem with it hanging at hip level. And with heavier lenses it would pit quite a strain on the lens mount.

One other neat thing with the strap is that if you need to do a quick lens change, say a 17-55 in place of a 70-200 for a few quick shots, you can just leave the 70-200 hanging on the strap.

You had mentioned that the Optech Pro strap was too wide for you, here are the measurements for the RS-2 and the Optech Pro.

Optech Pro: 2-3/8"
RS-2: 2-3/4"

Of course the way you carry the camera is quite different as well. I'm not sure that there is much difference in comfort with a heavy load. I don't have an RS-1, but I may see one tomorrow and can compare the width.

Thank you, Bill. The beef I had with the Op/Tech Pro was when carrying 2 simultaneously. The added width with its large rubber pad was too much. Two Pro straps would cross, and cut off circulation to my neck! You hit the nail on the head. The R strap fits completely different. Kurt pointed out that two do not interfere with each other. That is a big deal to me.

The benefits of the RS-2 over the RS-1 pulling apart to fit over clothing make it the most compelling model. I'll need to order a FastenR for each strap. They appear to be sold separately.

I agree that two Optechs crossed would be a pain, for sure.

As to the FastenR, check the RS-2, look down near the bottom, the FastenR comes with the strap. I suspect they sell them separetly so you can just have them on different bodies/lenses for a quick change. This is where the Arca-Swiss adaptor will come in handy.

Off to use mine now, on a nice bright sunny cold Washington morning :eek:

Thank you, Bill. The beef I had with the Op/Tech Pro was when carrying 2 simultaneously. The added width with its large rubber pad was too much. Two Pro straps would cross, and cut off circulation to my neck! You hit the nail on the head. The R strap fits completely different. Kurt pointed out that two do not interfere with each other. That is a big deal to me.

The benefits of the RS-2 over the RS-1 pulling apart to fit over clothing make it the most compelling model. I'll need to order a FastenR for each strap. They appear to be sold separately.

Latest threads

Top Bottom