1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

R1 Flash on the way!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by daveg, Oct 3, 2008.

1. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Hi,

I have just ordered an R1 flash for my D300 / 105 VR.

Would anyone like to post some shots here so that I can see what I am about to be in for?

Also any tips and tricks would be helpful - there are some remarkable pictures here that I would like to be able to take myself!!

DaveG

2. Hi DaveG

You will find the R1C1 and 105f2.8 a great combination on the D300, attached are some that I took with the R1C1/1052.8 but on a D3, now I am no expert in respect to flower photography but I have received some good comments from The forum members that encourages me to continue with this set up, I for one am very happy with this combination

John

2701769634_7d81bff04d.

2723048308_fdda80aa71.

View attachment 262328

2914687571_88ac96d292.

3. VFib-911

VFib-911

Oct 22, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Beautiful pics John... been considering the R1 myself. Sounds like the R1 system gives you significant flexibility in composing your shots.

DaveG - please keep us informed as to your impressions of the R1 once you have a chance to give it a go.

Regards,

4. Time for me to hit up Google I guess...

5. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    First impressions:

The box it came in is HUGE, but to be fair it is the R1C1 box - I bought it at a good price without the SU800.

Lots if bits and pieces to play with!

It's heavier than expected on the 105 VR!

Like most people, I am not over-enthusiastic about the dependance on CR123 batteries but I have found a source of rechargeable CR123s and will be getting some.

The publicity shots show it as a camera mounted unit but all of the examples in the supplied booklet advise one unit on camera and one hand held at arms length. I have enough problems trying to keep the D300 / 105 VR steady with two hands!!

Some examples show the SB R200s completely off camera - what's the point - you can do this with ANY flash.

Am I happy with it - YES!

I don't have any pictures to show yet - weather and lack of inspiration not helping.

It would be interesting/helpful if any of the R1 picture contributors could elaborate on the setups used to produce some of these wonderful images.

DaveG

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I havnt got a R1, wish I did:frown:, but i do have an old nikon SB-29. And I often use it off camera. In fact just this morning I grabbed some capture's of a half fozen wasp on my deck. It's true any flash can be used off camera but there is a unique quality to a ring light to my eye at least. Perhaps it's because of the two flashes on one unit. Or maby it's having the flash off to the side or slightly behind the subject but having the flash off camera gives the subject a greter sense of depth. As the ringlight mounted on lens tends to give very flat lighting. No kidding its a ring light:rolleyes: . However more often than not I use the SB-29 as the main light mounted on lens( Nikkor 105 f4 AIS, 200 F4 AIS) and use a SB-800 for back lighting. It's a pain using the SB-800 slave with the manual exposer of the SB-29 but it is possible to get an exposer nailedx down once in a while:smile:.

Dave: Good luck with your new unit. How many flashes did you get? Iv seen a photo on the cafe with 8 flashes:eek: . Dare to dream.

John: Great work, love the back light.

Gregory

7. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    I just bought the R1 Kit with two SB R200 units.

I'm thinking that one more might be a good idea - giving one on top and one each side. Any comments anyone?

I have done what I would call "practice shots" trying to get some sort of technique going and it is looking good. It is windy here today and nothing will stay still long enough to focus!!

DaveG

8. VFib-911

VFib-911

Oct 22, 2007
    NW Ohio
    What do you think about using an off-camera sb-600/800 in a soft box in addition to the 2 macro strobes, all triggered with the in-camera commander??

Might be good in a studio setup, but certainly not optimum where mobility is a concern I guess.

Just wondering if my sb-600 would mate well with the r1 system since I should be able to control them all with the in-camera commander???

9. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Thanks Bill,

I'm currently trying it with the SB 800 used as a "commander" but it is HEAVY.

DaveG

10. VFib-911

VFib-911

Oct 22, 2007
    NW Ohio
    What camera body, Dave?

You could lighten the load by using the pop-up as a commander (assuming you have a body with that capability) and adding the SB-800 as an off-camera unit.

I was thinking of using the R1 system, controlled with the pop-up commander on my D80, with the addition of the SB-600 in a soft box suspended over my field...

I wish I wasn't such a planner... I should just buy the stuff and see what I can do with it... lol

R1 incoming.... what can I say, I'm weak. Pics to follow upon receipt

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.