r1c1 macro flash shuts down with rechargeables

tried the r1c1 with the tenergy cr123a rechargeables today and both sides took 2 shots and shut down.

it was a 94 degree day so they may have had the slightly higher initial voltage in the ternergy cells pushing things hotter .

but none the less i was not happy at all with the issue. went back to regular cr123a's and all is fine.

i know nikon makes no claim they are compatible with rechargeables but i guess my experience today says they may not be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
interesting enough after we got home and out of the heat i tried the rechargeables again.

got off six shot and both sides shut down.

since these are brand new sbr-200's i wonder if nikon made the over voltage protection even more sensitive to shutting down.

no issues at all with disposable cr123a.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flash does have a battery heat safety circuit.
I've had trouble with certain types of rechargeable batteries in other flashes.

that i was aware from the moment both shut down together.

i guess the issue is inorder to charge to 3v that voltage coming in had to be a little higher. actually i think these peak out at 3.6v intitially.

to complicate things is the fact we bought two r1c1 units a month apart , one for my wife and one for me.

her unit is not bothered by the same rechargeables as mine.

it shows some sbr-200's will be more sensitive than others to it.

At this point i will use the rechargeables in 2 out of the 4 sbr200's.

But this thread really is a heads up that the tolerances on the protection circuit may or may not allow you to use rechargeables on recent units.

nikon said they don't really design the units for more than 3v .

they said since we bought 2 r1c1 units 1 month apart and one seems to work and one doesn't then i can send the ones that shut down in and they will check them.

i just may do that. i would like to use the rechargeables .

finally got out to extensively shoot today and the other set of sbr-200's in my wifes r1c1 shut down too on the rechargeables after about 8 or 9 shots. both shut down together.

so there you have it , two recent r1c1 units bought a month apart from stores in two different states can not use the tenergy rechargeables.

they do work in both commanders though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom