R2400 - avoiding the dreaded ph clog

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by PaulBennett, Aug 11, 2008.

1. PaulBennett

PaulBennett

Apr 28, 2008
    Oregon
    As I get my R2400 tomorrow I've studied posts which discuss it and other Epson printers. Conclusion, great printer but avoid letting it sit idle as heads clog.

During longer periods between print jobs, would a print or two, scheduled weekly be effective to avoid print head clogging? Twice weekly? Biweekly?

Perhaps printing a standard test print using all colors and containing large text date and leave it at the printer. Couple of 4x5 prints maybe? Is weekly adequate? Anyone using such a regimine? Effective? Keep it on always?

2. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Paul:

Make sure you park the heads. I've left mine for 2 or 3 months. Sometimes I do a single cleaning pass and other times I don't. Just use real epson inks.

I've had mine since they first came out, printed hundreds of 13 x 19's, and tons of smaller prints - but in batches and thus had significant downtimes for the printer.

Love mine.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for posting this question. I also have an R2400 and have yet to use it because I will print very infrequently. :eek: 

Any advice is much appreciated!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've had an R1800 for the past two years and have never encountered a clogged head, I hope yours is just as trouble free.

5. How often do you print, Frank?

6. PaulBennett

PaulBennett

Apr 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Well, picked up my R2400 printer eBay auction win. Bear with me please while I vent.

Emailed the seller during the auction asking if I could pick it up at his house, an hour away he agreed (I've been biding my time for 3 months waiting for a local sale). Auction closes, I win, call asking his address a few minutes later. He says left for 2 week vacation at auction's end but has the printer in a box in his trunk and wants to mail it (send an additional $60 pls). I say, 'what goes?, you agreed to local pickup'. Four days later he sends the printer back home with his brother.

I go to brothers and find the unprotected printer in an old torn bulging box stuffed with newspaper. No shipper would have accepted it. But worse, a fragile plastic paper tray is broken, there's no install CD, printer plastic is badly skuffed. Description was a 2 month old printer used for 16 photos. But his brother said oh, he bought it USED long while back. And I find the black ink cartidge is empty other 7 nearly so at 1/4.

There is a long procedure in the manual about transportation such as taping down the printheads etc etc...you guessed it - none of recommended precautions were done.

Oh, yes, the printer stinks, literally. Seller must be a smoker. Hopefully it will dissipate after I have 3 days of headaches...that's what my used D70s bought from a smoker cost me.

Should perhaps of tanked the deal before forking over the $432 cash but didn't, and nothing to be accomplished talking at the brother. Perhaps I can glue/fix the paper thingy. and if I get it working this will fade into another of life's lessons.

Question - Although I've downloaded a driver from the Epson site, I'm not sure what else I am missing from the CD Rom. Anyone know what special setup programs etc are there and if they are available?

7. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have an 1800 - and I print in spurts - usually about 2-3 months apart. I've had partial clogs, but nothing the head cleaning wouldn't fix. I'm a firm believer in Epson inks - we won't talk about the price...

I had another Epson from long ago - printed probably even less than the 1800 - and had the same partial cloging issues - head cleaning always did the trick. Then I decided to sav e some money and used a third-party refill kit - Epson compatable, it said. I printed enough over a two day period that I know there was no Epson ink left in the lines or head. A week later, I went to print - black was completely clogged - and regardless of my efforts (just short of total disassembly), the clog remained. That was the end of that printer - and haven't used non-Epson inks, since.

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    This has been my experience with the R2400. I use an R280 for most of my routine text and CD printing, so the R2400 only gets used a couple of times a month.

9. Twenty-twenty hind sight, of course but no way I'd have purchased a printer from someone who was clearly deceitful and prepared it for delivery in such a careless manner.

I've used nothing but Epsons and in the main am pleased with the printers and delighted with their output...save one, the Photo 825. It regularly clogs as does my son's 825. I also own a 1280 I gave to my wife and a 2200 which I currently use. Neither printer clogs despite being left on for over 6 months now.

What I do not like is Epson's approach to inks. Between the infinitesimally small (and egregiously expensive) cartridges on all but the larger ones, and their reputation for saying they are empty and they aren't ( addressed by a class action suit) and the almost incessant cleaning cycles I am really put off by the greedy way they handle the inks. I put a new cartridge in my 2200 and the bloody printer does a jet cleaning cycle on ALL the cartridges....thank$ Epson. :mad: 

10. PaulBennett

PaulBennett

Apr 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Latest in the saga. I awoke today determined to return the R2400 if there was some way to get my money back. Reason for doing so, first print had NO reds nor blues and I figured it was damaged.

GREAT SUPPORT Made a call to Epson and talked to a tech in the Phillippines who walked me through the restoration process as only 5 of the 8 printheads were working. I can't say enough about how reassuring and competent their people are.

The printer now works, 3 cartridges were emptied in the process of head cleaning but it works! Now to figure out color management as skin tones are real bad.

I have an hp Kn5400 which out of the box prints great 8x10 photos-only bought it text jobs as it prints double sided. So if I can get the Epson to do on 13x19 paper what the hp does on 8x10, I'll be happy.

This has been an emotional nightmare and as the above posted intimated "bale out of any deal when things don't smell right".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.