Racing Greyhound Photos: Part 2

Per the recommondation of Markb here is "Racing Greyhound Photos: Part 2". (I was flooding the first thread with a lot of photos....sorry about that!)

These were taken during late day schooling races Thursday 08/21/2008. The days are getting shorter now so with the sun setting earlier there is a lot more shade. I like the lighting for the early races, but after the first few its all shade.....

2789244482_c81886a721.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2789244040_a8a32ed580.jpg

2789238858_14261dd25a.jpg

This is a close up of our greyhound Phoenix Flipz. Im not sure if Ive seen coloring like this on a greyhound before. She has a black spot/streak across her face from her eye to her ear. Thought you might like to see it. Sorry this photo is so heavily cropped and noisey (you can see the little particles from the track surface flying past her face!)

2788848139_ff4a96d111.jpg

thank you for viewing!! :smile:

great pictures rick! keep them coming!!

im going to sneak one in here, its actually a horrible picture (noise, blown out, etc) but the best one i have of our adopted retired racer! shes never very cooperative when the camera comes out! considering she sleeps 95% of the time, you think it would be easy....

dscn3488.jpg

Zorac that photo is great!!! I love the pool and of course the BEAUTIFUL greyhound just having a fun time!

Please post more as its a pleasure to see them and I thank you for giving your wonderful companion such a great life!

my best,

Rick

Heres a couple from evening racing Fri., 08/22/2008

2791712050_f2331ea93d.jpg

Check out the teeth!! :biggrin:

2790861759_baa17e7c7f.jpg

thanks for looking!!:smile:

Here are a couple taken Tuesday evening 08/26/2008

2811317798_16026c81af.jpg

2811321566_9c022c985b.jpg

thanks for looking!!:smile:

WOW! Great action shots. No wonder the retired dog loves the pool so much.

WOW! Great action shots. No wonder the retired dog loves the pool so much.

thank you wendy!!

Here are 4 shots I took at schooing races late afternoon on Thursday 08/28/2008

2813587620_fb8905cd15.jpg

2813587014_e5055d6196.jpg

2813588204_69fe7deb14.jpg

2812737681_dabc87b104.jpg

:smile:

excellent shots Rick...

Thanks Chris!

Here are a few from schooling races at Phoenix Greyhound Park Monday late afternoon, 09/01/2008

2824940690_31c6c2d20c.jpg

2824939462_8d55216569.jpg

2824930564_f9e13c0d88.jpg

2824106501_4514b4e4e7.jpg

thanks for taking the time to look!! :smile:

Rick great shots, making me think I might need to hit a greyhound race.

GeoffBolte,

Thank you!!

You would love greyhound racing. It is truly exciting and a real thrill to photograph. Ive been told its pretty difficult and without a lot of other things to compare it to I cant really say for sure. I do know that Ive been at it for a year now and Im still learning everytime I go out there!

take care,

Rick

nice rick

how about posting them bigger ?

Heres a couple of bigger ones Randy. Hope they turn out ok!!:confused:

2824930564_f9e13c0d88_b.jpg

This one is heavily cropped so it might show some extra noise......

2824106501_4514b4e4e7_b.jpg

Rick , that noise reminds me of film. Not objectionable to me ,especially when viewed from a proper distance.

Thanks very much for the nice comments Biggs and Greg!

Question regarding the noise in my large photo #2......

Ive noticed that some of my photos have more noise than others and it appears that the ones that are cropped heavily display it most. In addition, Ive noticed that noise seems to pop up more in the shaded areas vs. the well lit areas.

I know this is pretty elementary photography concepts here, but because I dont know for sure....Id really like to get your input and comments!

If you look at the two large photos Ive posted it looks like the first one is limited in heavy noise whereas the second one has a great deal of it. The differences between the two are the amount of cropping and shade.

Question #1. Would it be safe to say that those two factors are the determinates as to the noise factor given that the camera settings are exactly the same?

Question #2. Noise must obviously not only be caused by just ISO settings but also by available light. Is that a correct statement? The reason I believe it is is because the ISO settings for these two shots were lower than some of the night shots I take that actually have less noise.

Question #3. Can you recommend a noise reduction program that will work well with Capture NX? I would actually prefer a stand alone one. Is Noise Ninja the best in your opinion? Also, when you use a stand alone noise reduction program do you simply edit in NX....perform the noise reduction in the noise reduction program and then transfer back to NX for printing?

Im sorry for all of the questions here, but I really learn a lot from folks like you and although Ive been shooting racing greyhounds a lot in the last year I have MUCH to learn about photography and much of it is basic in nature.

Thanks so much for your help and time. I hope to return the favor sometime!

my best always,

Rick

Real Name
Randy
Thanks very much for the nice comments Biggs and Greg!

Question regarding the noise in my large photo #2......

Ive noticed that some of my photos have more noise than others and it appears that the ones that are cropped heavily display it most. In addition, Ive noticed that noise seems to pop up more in the shaded areas vs. the well lit areas.

I know this is pretty elementary photography concepts here, but because I dont know for sure....Id really like to get your input and comments!

If you look at the two large photos Ive posted it looks like the first one is limited in heavy noise whereas the second one has a great deal of it. The differences between the two are the amount of cropping and shade.

Question #1. Would it be safe to say that those two factors are the determinates as to the noise factor given that the camera settings are exactly the same?

Question #2. Noise must obviously not only be caused by just ISO settings but also by available light. Is that a correct statement? The reason I believe it is is because the ISO settings for these two shots were lower than some of the night shots I take that actually have less noise.

Question #3. Can you recommend a noise reduction program that will work well with Capture NX? I would actually prefer a stand alone one. Is Noise Ninja the best in your opinion? Also, when you use a stand alone noise reduction program do you simply edit in NX....perform the noise reduction in the noise reduction program and then transfer back to NX for printing?

Im sorry for all of the questions here, but I really learn a lot from folks like you and although Ive been shooting racing greyhounds a lot in the last year I have MUCH to learn about photography and much of it is basic in nature.

Thanks so much for your help and time. I hope to return the favor sometime!

my best always,

Rick

you have found the 2 best ways to display noise...big crops and shadows....
I have used Neat Image and it's ok but be careful how much you use or it will turn the pic to mush

Latest threads

Top Bottom