Racing Greyhound Photos: Part 6

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by greyhound rick, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Heres one I took Saturday evening 10/4/2008 with my 85mm f/1.4. I used a monopod for this one to help steady the camera a bit. Im starting to feel more comfortable panning with the monopod. Thanks for looking!:smile:

2917919733_f1d87899e0_b.

2. very nice Rick. That 85 is able to track focus OK?

3. Thanks Chris. The 85 does pretty well for not being an AF-S lens and sometimes it will lock in and track for multiple frames in a burst. If you dont mind I will post the whole series of shots for this racer which turned out pretty good. They were all in focus which definitely doesnt happen every time! Normally I will get about 50% in focus at f1.6, but more like 80% at f/2.5 which I have switched to recently.

Sometimes I have to bump the ISO up to 1250 and slow the shutter from 1/1600 to 1/1000 but the trade off there is made up for by getting a little more DOF focus area which helps get the entire greyhound in focus.

thanks again!

4. Nice work Rick, panning with a speeding bullet like a greyhound is pretty cool work.

Bob

5. Another great shot. I can't imagine how hard it is to keep up with those guys especially when the sun goes down... you nailed it.

Dennis

6. Thank you.

Believe me.....I have my share of throw outs!!

Its funny....the other night a lady came up to me and asked to see some of my images on the camera monitor and commented on how all of the photos were in focus and asked how I did that....I proceeded to tell her that the million that werent have already been put in the garbage!!!:biggrin::wink:

7. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Fantastic Rick - I am always so impressed by your shots!!!

8. Thank you SO much!!

BTW, We LOVE iggies!!! How many do you have? They are so sweet. We'd probably get a couple but we are worried that they would get hurt around our house full of full size greys. Any thoughts on that? (Sorry for the OT chatter!)...

9. This one was taken Tuesday evening 09/30/2008

2921198890_6f70dfbf4c_b.

10. These were all taken Monday evening 10/06/2008

King Of The City

2921359890_831699a165_b.

Kiowa Bandanna

2920516257_35679eaa1b_b.

2920516901_23d8571419_b.

2921362130_73a85e8b2e_b.

Thank you for viewing!!

11. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    More awesome shots Rick!! I sent you a PM about the IGs.

12. Thanks Marsha. I really enjoyed reading your message. Lots of great information!!

Here's one taken Tuesday evening, 10/07/2008

WJS Insane Dash

2923632777_8f2526f55a_b.

:smile:

13. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Rick, I think I like this one the most of any you posted, great color combination between dog and background! Clone that light out in the background and hang this one up!

14. Thanks so much Tim. I really appreciate it!

I have to hurry up and get NX 2.0 so I can have a clone tool! (Im still using 1.3 :eek: ), btw....I hope the conversion is easy...I am lousey on computers!!! I guess I just download the upgrade and thats it??

I'll clone out the light.....should I leave my "hot pixel" in there? (Ive had people tell me it can be my own little signature and watermark!!)

take care Tim,

Rick

15. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Great shots Rick, must be tough taking these shots as they move so fast.

16. Thanks Ron. Its a lot of fun and a big challenge. Good thing I dont have to post my throw outs!!! (I have many!)

17. bobcool

bobcool

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    Man, Rick, these are just... awesome! I'm really impressed that you're doing this with the 85mm! I know sometimes that lens can wander a bit but it sure does grab the light!

You should take up Nascar or Indy racing - your panning is superb and I'd bet you'd get some really nice shots...

18. Thank you very much Bob. That is really nice of you to say and I appreciate it a lot!

Its funny....Ive been into photography for a little over a year now and have spent a LOT of time with it trying to learn from people like yourself. Its kind of wierd because Ive probably taken well over 10,000 shots at Phoenix Greyhound Park, yet not that many of anything else! My inexperience with all other types of photography has motivated me to try to branch out a bit. Im interested in portraits, landscapes, macro and other sports....I just need to spend the time with them! The tough part is that the greyhounds run 6 nights per week and we go to the track 4-5 nights per week to shoot, so I need to figure out how to make this all work out I guess.

Anyways, just wanted to share that with you and its a pleasure to be online with you and everyone here at the Nikoncafe!!

take care,

Rick

19. OK...thanks to my friend Glenn "McQ"...Im going to try out this noiseware program.....

Heres the original:

2925687855_f9fbd29ef9_b.

Heres with the noiseware applied:

2925687651_cd919ca940_b.

Can you let me know if you think this is over done or if you think it looks ok?

Appreciate your input!

thanks,

Rick

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.