Rail Cars

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by MurphyD, Apr 16, 2007.

1. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Hi all,

Passing over this railway with these cars in this position for a week gave me plenty of time to gauge when the sun would create shadows at almost the same angle as the struts. Could only shoot this on the weekend as the highway is a major artery of traffic. I only got honked at twice and the traffic was a leisurely 70 or 80 mph with the closest lane about 3 feet away. We're supposed to be having fun, right.

After all that I'm not even sure I really like them. Comments and helpful ideas and criticism always welcomed.

These are the first post from Zenfolio and it seems a lot better. Not free, but a lot better.
    David

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. That's some really nice use of shadow and the black and white makes it sing. Nice work!

3. Nice diagonals. It can be fun planning out a shot like that.

4. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Fred and Victor,
    Thanks for looking and for your kind comments.
    I would like to have had a bit more detail in the shadows.
    The detail is in the color, but I have not quite gotten the hang of carrying the entire tonal range over to black and white. But, I am having a great time trying.
    Daivd

5. I like these alot. The first one is simply great. Nice work!

6. great work, very well done.

7. David,
    I prefer the second image to the first because the rails and the "road" both lead my eyes to the farthest hopper car, which I then track back to bottom center - seeing rail carS.

I find the broad light colored diagonal of the first leads my eye out of the photograph.

Regards,
    Nick