Railfest 2007: Horseshoe Curve

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Pete, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Horseshoe curve in Altoona, Pennsylvania has always been mecca for railfans. Last week was the annual Railfest. There were train rides, music, food and fireworks. Lots of people from all over and lots of cameras.

Horseshoe Curve
    [​IMG]

The Museum
    [​IMG]

A beautifully restored classic train
    [​IMG]

Fireworks at the Museum
    [​IMG]

This car was used in the 2004 celebration
    [​IMG]

Look! Those are diesel locomotive horns on that guy's truck
    [​IMG]

Long Trains
    [​IMG]

The Gallitzen tunnels
    [​IMG]

This one is from the 2004 celebration. Alstom/Sylvania lit the curve with searchlights from a train. They had lit it with flashbulbs in 1954 to celabrate the 100 year anniversary.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Pete

I will add the link for the slide show soon.

2. the one of the museum is pretty sweet. same with the last shot. hey if you ever in chicago make sure to check out the western springs area. pretty good place to train watch.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots
    I really like trains also

4. Very neat pictures and looks like an interesting visit!! It's on my list. :smile:

5. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Lots of great shots Pete. Looks like you had a good time. I've never been there either, but it's on my list.

6. Looks like a lot of fun! Hope that guy in the truck is never behind me at a red light, LOL.

7. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Thank You all for the comments and interest. I did have a great time, 3 days of events and a train ride all for $30 was a bargain. For those of you that are interested in visiting the area, here is the link to the Railroaders Memorial Museum in Altoona.
    http://www.railroadcity.com/
    I am working on a slide show for my website, I will post the link when I get it done.
    Pete