1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Rain And Leaves.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by camerapapi, Aug 1, 2008.

1. I do not tend to be complicated with my workflow. I try to improve my files through the use of Photoshop but I do not depart from reality. I am not either a Photoshop guru.
    As you can see, this is a simple shot. There was a brisk rain following a storm and I knew I would be able to find something interesting to shoot in our backyard. We have plenty of flowers this time of year but instead I decided to concentrate my attention on the leaves holding the water of the recent rain.
    The only thing I did to this file was to saturate the greens to my taste and apply some sharpening. This is from a RAW file but when I shoot JPEG (rare these days) my tendency is to apply no sharpening in camera.

Rainandleaves.

I used my Nikon D1X for its superb rendition of colors with the 105 f4 AIS Micro Nikkor lens. Gitzo tripod with Linhof ballhead. Electronic cable release.
    As I said, the original is a RAW file converted to sRGB and compressed for its use in the web.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

2. So simple, and it works. Excellent shot William...

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    William: Great capture, Im also not a photshop guru. So I like to get it right in camera as well. Im really Impresssed with the IQ of the D1X and the nikkor 105 F4 AIS. Shots like this go a long way to prove its not always the new glass and the highest megapixals camera's that are capable of fantastic Images.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice work, your 'old' equipment does very well (with your help, of course)

5. Nikkor AIS (I am sure you have a name) and Robert: Thank you for your comments. Thank you Rich for your comments.
    Lenses and cameras are tools. Old cameras and lenses perform as well as the new ones although the new tools have more technologies. We take the pictures, technology cannot do that.
    Talking about technology, I had the pleasure of using a D700 today with my 24-85 f3.5-4.5 AF-S lens. Never ever, I saw my lens to perform as it did today. Shots at ISO 2000 and 3200 were simply awesome in available light. Files were full of details with great colors. It was striking to me seeing those files open in Adobe Lightroom requiring little editing and practically no sharpening. I could see no noise. Awesome!
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

6. Really an excellent image!

7. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Sorry William, my name is Gregory. I usually sign my name. I guess I got distracted by your leaf and water Image on this thread.:smile:
    The new FX camera's from nikon are amazing. But the fact remain's that your Image proves that one dosnt need the latest and greatest equipment to produce striking Images. Im going to do a search on you so I can see some more of your Images. Take care.

Gregory

8. Thank you Gregory for your nice comments. I am in full agreement with you that up to date technologies are not necessary to produce good images, but they help to make the job easier.
    I have posted many images in www.photobucket.com. and periodically I update those images. I wish I knew how to post a link to the gallery but I have not learned that yet.
    During my years using film and medium format I learned from others fine art photography. I was a fool when I sold for pennies my medium format gear although I am ready to buy again and get a good scanner to process the negatives.
    If something I have learned the hard way is that with digital you need a good bank account.
    William.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.