Rain Brought Backyard Birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by GeeJay, Jul 16, 2008.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    We've had torrential rains here in Southwest Florida for many days . We went two years in a drought situation and now it won't stop. Sure is okay with me because the Florida wading birds have come to my back yard. Our little lake has flooded over into the 'Cypress Tree stand' so the birds can wade and eat all they want.

Here are a few I've gotten this week.

p488215520-4.jpg

Black Crowned Night Heron Juvenile (I think)

p192341500-4.jpg

Black Crowned Night Heron

p498177159-4.jpg

p61010062-4.jpg

p393806474-4.jpg

2. Adam73

Adam73 Guest

Great shots. I love Egrets. Your pushing the highlights a tad in shot #1 but still a beautiful shot. :)

3. Gaye, these are wonderful shots. I especially like the juvinile BCNH. Were all with your D3? Also, nice talking with you today and happy to hear that everything survived the fall.
    At least the rain has its positive side by bringing some birds into the picture.

4. Wow I wish I had them in my backyard!!! Great series!

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Adam,
    You are so right about those highlights. I got so excited when I found the birds in my yard that I completely forgot about the histogram. Thanks for the nice comment and also thanks for pointing out about the highlights. I will definitely be more attentive from now on...

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Louie,
    Also great to hear from you. Yes, all with my D3. Some with the 200-400 VR and Black Crowned Night Heron in next to last picture is with my 180AF with Kenko 1.4TC. Had to wade in the swamp to get him. Then I found out what they eat and realized he was probably looking for snakes. Definitely time to get out of the water :biggrin: And thanks for nice comment!

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, Andreas! You are super to stop to comment. I haven't posted in a long time and now I'm inspired to get out there more this week and post more.......and with good highlights too .... Thanks again,

8. Nice set of pics Gay. Glad to see someone got out to shoot. It's been too dangerous around here to venture out in the boat with all the T-storms we get twice a day. Grrrrr. Almost as bad as shoveling rain up North in Dec./ Jan. :)

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hey Mike,
    Great to hear from you. I know what you mean about the TStorms and rain. I've had to slip out between them to get the pictures..and it helps to have my backdoor a few feet away so I can dash back inside....

It rained last night and we now have sunshine for the first time in a long time. I hope to plant myself out there this evening and catch some more bird action.

Thanks much!

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

nice set
    Hope the wheather behaves for all you good Folks :wink:

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, Benjamin,
    We really need the rain and I sound ungrateful............but it is a pain when I'm viewing beautiful big birds in my yard and I can't go out because of the lightning and downpour. So I'm now hoping it rains at night or midday instead of early morning and sunset..:biggrin: