Rain Covers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbsmith, Jun 7, 2005.

1. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    What do you use to protect you camera when shooting in rainy conditions. I've seen a couple of different types of rain covers. Do any of you use them? What is the best kind? Its raining in North Mississippi almost everyday.

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    D1X/D2X, I carrying a couple of old towels in the car at all times and blot as I go. Lens hood on. Heavy rain, gear under poucho with me and no shoot. I have shot from open car window during rain.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
  4. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I've tried a few for my D2x and D70. If I remember correctly, I've tried a Pelican, a Kata, and a few no-names. To be honest, I wasn't really happy with any of them. Many are too big and require a ton of cinching. Granted, a rain cover is a pain no matter what, but none of them really had any stand out features. I've examined some Aquatech covers, and those look nice with the eyepieces and all, but way too much money for me.

Personally, I've gone back to my old method of plastic bags and rubber bands. It's cheap and versatile, I think. You can find all sorts of sizes and cut them however you want. Plus the plastic is usually flexible enough that I can operate the zoom and focus rings through the bag provided there is enough slack to allow the twist. Then I simply poke my head in the back of the bag and snap away. It works, but boy do I look like a fool, haha.

A trick I've done a few times is to get those heavy duty clear zipper bags (not Zip-lock, but the ones with the plastic slide zippers) and you cut the end and then slice the bottom. This way you can slide it over the camera even if on a tripod or monopod, and then you just put a rubber band or two on there to hold it in place. Plus since it's clear you can see all the settings and poke at the buttons through the plastic if need be.

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks
    The one from FotoSharp looks the simplest and cheapest of the Manufactured. I looked at the Kata on the B&H website but it is hard to tell much from the pictures they have. I may experiment with the plastic bags and rubber bands before I order anything else. I want to do something soon I've been caught out in the rain a couple of times recently and had to put the camera away.
    If anyone else has had any experience with these, let me know.