1. BillinOaklandCA

BillinOaklandCA

Mar 6, 2008
    Oakland
    I'm looking for suggestions for a cover to protect my D300 and lenses. I need the sleeve to be long enough to fit my 70-200 and that would then also fit the 24-70. Definitely want to spend time out in the rain this fall/winter. Any ideas?

2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Check out Aquatech and Think Tank Photo

3. I bought one of those white 'tubes' with an elastic at either end and it does an ok job in light rain . I shot a ski event in the snow a while back and made my own cover out of a "stacking chair cover" . I cut it in half so I basically had this bag with an open end and the elastic around my waist . A bit of velcro on the lens hoods and at the edge of the plastic and I was protected from the worst . the canon shooter had the white tube thingy and had to keep wiping his camera because of the condensation .
    I may have looked strange but the air movement under the cover kept my camera dry .

cover045ch.

4. BillinOaklandCA

BillinOaklandCA

Mar 6, 2008
    Oakland
    Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought about the condensation issue. Good thing to keep in mind.

5. Bill,

I use the KATA cover in the rain and snow. The basic one will cover a 70-200 and up to 300. I've also used it with my 35-70. Bit big for the 35-70, but could results so far.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    Bill, like Paul, I use the OpTech 18" rain sleeve... it works great and is cheap! Cheers, Bill P.

8. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    but cameras are waterproof...

:wink:

First off let me preface that I just recently insured my ~$2500 of camera gear through state farm for an annual premium of $25.

I recently went on vacation to Poland and took a smaller vacation with a tour group to Prague and had the unfortunate experience of being caught light rain on day 1, and consistent rain day 2. Both days I used my camera exposed to the elements with the exception that between pictures I would tuck it in my jacket. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING got wet including sometimes with a blast of wind, the front of the lens. My Tamrac Velocity 8x back was soaked to the point that my other 2 lenes had moisture on the outside, but all in all, the camera, lenses, and gear inside the bag survived.

After this experience, I'm not hesitant of a little rain. :smile:

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I use the Optec rain sleeves..keep a few in my bag and in my belt.

Also have the Hydrophobia from Think Tank... it's works well, breathes but is big and husky. Costs a bundle too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.