1. BillinOaklandCA

BillinOaklandCA

Mar 6, 2008
    Oakland
    I'm looking for suggestions for a cover to protect my D300 and lenses. I need the sleeve to be long enough to fit my 70-200 and that would then also fit the 24-70. Definitely want to spend time out in the rain this fall/winter. Any ideas?

2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Check out Aquatech and Think Tank Photo

3. I bought one of those white 'tubes' with an elastic at either end and it does an ok job in light rain . I shot a ski event in the snow a while back and made my own cover out of a "stacking chair cover" . I cut it in half so I basically had this bag with an open end and the elastic around my waist . A bit of velcro on the lens hoods and at the edge of the plastic and I was protected from the worst . the canon shooter had the white tube thingy and had to keep wiping his camera because of the condensation .
    I may have looked strange but the air movement under the cover kept my camera dry .

cover045ch.jpg

4. BillinOaklandCA

BillinOaklandCA

Mar 6, 2008
    Oakland
    Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought about the condensation issue. Good thing to keep in mind.

5. Bill,

I use the KATA cover in the rain and snow. The basic one will cover a 70-200 and up to 300. I've also used it with my 35-70. Bit big for the 35-70, but could results so far.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    Bill, like Paul, I use the OpTech 18" rain sleeve... it works great and is cheap! Cheers, Bill P.

8. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    but cameras are waterproof...

:wink:

First off let me preface that I just recently insured my ~$2500 of camera gear through state farm for an annual premium of $25.

I recently went on vacation to Poland and took a smaller vacation with a tour group to Prague and had the unfortunate experience of being caught light rain on day 1, and consistent rain day 2. Both days I used my camera exposed to the elements with the exception that between pictures I would tuck it in my jacket. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING got wet including sometimes with a blast of wind, the front of the lens. My Tamrac Velocity 8x back was soaked to the point that my other 2 lenes had moisture on the outside, but all in all, the camera, lenses, and gear inside the bag survived.

After this experience, I'm not hesitant of a little rain. :smile:

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I use the Optec rain sleeves..keep a few in my bag and in my belt.

Also have the Hydrophobia from Think Tank... it's works well, breathes but is big and husky. Costs a bundle too.