1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Raincoat for D300 and D3 bodies

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by lisagott, Sep 12, 2008.

1. lisagott

lisagott

Apr 1, 2008
    OH
    Can anyone recommend what protective raingear you are using on your D300 and D3 bodies? I anticipate the need next week and need to get shopping. Thanks!

Lisa

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Lisa, I recently purchased an Aquatech SS-300 and eyepiece cover for my D300 and 300mm f/2.8 lens combination. A bit pricy, but the construction is very nice.

3. I use that same cover for my D3/300 2.8 combo and it works great. A bit pricey, but when you consider the investment you are trying to protect....well enough said.

4. I was looking for water protection last year for my trip to Niagara Falls and my camera shop directed me to the OpTech Rain Sleeves. They are cheap enough to be disposable if you want (2 for $6.95). They are clear plastic, have a drawstring to tie around the lens hood and will work on lenses up to 18" long. The sleeve bends at a 45-degree angle to cover the camera body, your hand and wrist. I don't really like to shoot in the rain, but I always keep a pack of them in my camera bag for emergency use in case that happens. They are good low-budget protection.
    Here is the link to the OpTech Rain Sleeve page:
    http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=73

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Jeff, I saw this product somewhere, but could not remember where. This looks like a nice product for the price.

6. aajiiholma

aajiiholma Guest

I use DicaPac SLR Pac

http://www.dicapac.com/new_eng/02_products/sub06.html

It was around 75€. It's possible to zoom my 18-200. The D300 fits in very well, but NOT with the Grip. In the shop they had a D3 in there, so maybe the grip goes with a little violence as well.

Antti

7. Wileec

Wileec Guest

It worked . . .

When I got caught in the rain recently in one of the national parks, I used my Goretex jacket. I was shoot from a tripod and using the 80-200mm lens, so I just held the coat out over to the lens hood and flopped the rest of it over me - I looked like one of those portrait photogs - but it kept the camera and lens dry in the down pore that snuck up on me.

8. This is what I also use for times that I have to shoot in the rain. For the price it's a great item to keep in the bag. One of these worked great this past March while in Daytona Beach for a Supercross race. I was completely soaked from head to toe but my D300 & 70-200 VR was dry!

This is what I was shooting in. Wasn't just a shower it was a down pour! :biggrin:

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

9. You should be able to find them at most camera shops. If you can't find them locally, Amazon.com has them for $5.35 per pack. Not sure how much the shipping is on top of that.

10. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I am a huge fan of the Think Tank Hydrophobia.. it packs easily and out of the way when not in use, by bundling itself around the lens hood of 300/2.8 and larger, and unfolds in a blink if you need to deploy it.

11. Wow. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread!

It's been raining here SO MUCH lately, and I haven't been able to get out and shoot because of it. I am going through picture-taking withdrawals, so something like this is almost a definite must for me.

12. I use the Kata Elements Cover. I've used it in downpours for hours and it does what it's supposed to. The only complaint I have with these things is it's difficult to see through the viewfinder since the inside fogs up after a while shooting in the rain.

13. thanks frank (and rich)
    for this advice
    glad to hear that the same unit will work on both the D3 and D300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.