Rainy day IR

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Elf_8, Oct 15, 2005.

1. I couldn't take it any more being caught inside. I was out to the park nearby and experimented a bit in IR. I preset the WB with the Hoya R72 on on my bright red jacket. Very little manipulation here, no shifting for example between the red and the blue channels as is the case when I preset on a patch of green grass.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All photos taken with the D70 (inside a protective hood), the 18-70mm, and a Hoya R72 IR filter.

2. Very nice Christian, I like the colors.
    Ben

3. Christian, these are quite different from what we usually see. I love them very much.

4. Thanks Phil. I guess you mean "different" in the sense of its colour balance, right ?
    I just answered Benoit also that I will retry the same settings whenever sun comes out, but seems that this will take some time yet.

5. Salut Benoit,
    merci du commentaire. J'ai hâte de voir comment ça va sortir avec un peu de soleil.

6. Hmm. I never thought about WB on red. So you're saying you didn't do a color channel swap on these?

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What evr you did, keep it up.

These are really very beautiful

8. Exactly - no channel swap. I thought that if an IR set with automatic WB comes out red, with glowing reds actually, I might as well set the WB on a piece of cloth that is of the same glowing red. I just happen to wear one such jacket.
    I'm eager to see however how this will result under a sunny sky, how the blue sky is going to come out.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    #2 is a great composition! One of the best IR shots here.

10. Glad you like it Chris. Hard to compare, and the fun comes from making them for their own value.

11. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Beautiful work

I like No. 2 a lot. Great stuff!

12. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Wow, that is amazing! How much does an IR filter usually run? That seems like something i would like to try
    Paul

13. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Christian,

Wow... these are just fantastic man. So... wb on a patch of bright red... I hate doing lady like shopping, but I'm off to find me a store that sells fabric asap and find me the brightest middle red piece of fabric I can find! That would be the easiest, because I can cut a 1 ft square swatch and in will fit neatly in my backpack. The colors are really wonderful in all of these. I never really thought of setting the WB on a color different from grass, but it makes sense, maybe to the point where I can find a way to get it tweaked to my preferrence perfectly. The thing I stress over most is the color of the sky, so that's what I'll be going for - yours didn't have blue sky, none the less, this is a great referrence/starting point.

Thanks SO much for sharing these, and especially your little trick there... So much to learn, so little time!

14. Love the colours Christian....very creative using the bright red jacket....Now everyone will be trying the same technique....et moi aussi!

Merci

Bohdan

15. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Beautiful shots, Christian! I've never taken an IR shot, so I can't comment on the WB discussion, but I'm planning to add an IR filter to my pack soon. Then I'll be asking lots of questions, I suspect!!

16. harribobs

harribobs Guest

Excellent work, very striking

(just going to try it myself :biggrin: )

17. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Before everyone rush out to raid the shops for red jackets, a word of warning: there is no guarantee all fabrics will reflect IR in a similar fashion, so you might end up with an expensive non-usable photo accessory. In fact, you could just try some black garments because these quite likely will reflect strongly in IR, thus appear as white :biggrin: Or just drop the whole idea of w/b for IR, since IR by definition doesn't have any colours, so you can just set the colours as you wish. No rule can be broken when none exists.

The morale, if any, is that you can do IR shooting just about everywhere. I have even shot IR with a piece of flat-iron as the "light" source. Anything goes in the IR world.

18. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    hehehehe... I was not going to shop for any jacket :Sheriff:

I did buy some colored paper to try different things... the red did not do the trick. I'll have to think about the black fabric... I need to get downtown where there are fabric shops, there I can try some shots in the shop to see if the black fabric will render IR correctly.

Anyhow, as I said, the red wb preset did not really do much for me... I think the original thing was not having to switch the channels in PS. I found no matter what I set the WB with (red, green or blue) I still had to switch the channels, but the "set the wb to a patch of green grass" trick seems to get me closest to the blue sky I like when I do switch the channels.

Bjørn,

I got my first E series lens, the 35 today. Did a few tests before I took to the task of removing the multicoatings on the front and back and was pretty pleased - NOT that I know WHAT I'm looking for in UV, I just know I want to use it strictly for artistic persuits. I got the b+w UV Black 403 filter and a hot mirror filter too, I stack them. I have no idea what I'm looking FOR in UV other than something I can tweak into a shot that pleases *me*, as others may not get it :tongue: - I guess I'll post the one I like best tonight.

That leads me to a question... if you have the time... what type of abrasive polish do you reccomend? I'm going shopping for it tomorrow, so if I don't get an answer before, I'll likely just get either some kind of water soluable compound, or perhaps rubbing compound for car paint - I was thinking that might do the trick, because it's made to polish an oil based paint, so won't contain any oil based solvents.

Thanks EVER so much for your time, I greatly appreciate your presence here.

19. What I have understood is that white balancing for IR purpose is useless, as IR is by definition colourless - or at least to our eyes.
    My intent doing the WB on my red jacket was to adjust to the remaining colours in the visible spectrum that the R72 filter doesn't block.
    I was eager to see what the results would be under a blue sky with a shining sun. Here it is...
    The first is processed in colours as I usually do.
    The second and third are from the same R72 filtered image with a preset WB on my "red jacket". The first instance is without the Red/Blue channels swap. The second is after such a swap.
    It appears that the particular effect of the first posts I have made here was probably more a matter of shooting under a grey sky with shining wet black surfaces than because of the red WB as such.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Christian,

The whole reason I made the comments I did are because I guess I was looking for a magic bullet... a WB setting that will give me the colors I want out of the cam. It appears it doesn't exist. I'm aware of the charicatristics of IR light, I just want a consistant look to the blue sky. I'm going to continue at this point to preset my WB on green grass as others reccomend, and tweak the channel mixer to my liking and save that setting. Ultimatly, that will be most consistant for me. I hope to do the same thing with my WB settings in NC for UV as well.

I'm about as wet behind the ears as one can get shooting invisible light, so I'm just trying to come up with effective workflows that get me to a base point that I'm happy with... whether that's a custom wb in NC, a custom channel mix... I'm just looking for some consistancy, and I'm not getting it eyeballing every pic - not that I'm unahppy with my results thus far, I'm just kind of anal retentive with respect to workflow.

I greatly appreciate your input on the matter!