Rainy eagles

My wife saw five eagles pass by the bay windows as we were lounging Sunday afternoon. Got the rig and rain boots and checked it out. There were about fifteen eagles feeding off scraps thrown out by a salmon smokehouse a few doors down the shore from us. They were either too gorged or too anxious for more scraps to fly away from me.

This is my fourth attempt at capturing eagles with the 80-400VR. I finally got some keepers. Of course, this time I was only about 20 yards away from them and they were very polite and posed for me for several minutes. I also tried to capture several in flight, but with no luck. As you can see, it was overcast and rainy.

All with D200, 80-400VR, ISO 400, f/7.1, varying shutter speeds.

C&C appreciated.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't have to tell you these are OUTSTABDING pictures Mike and in those conditions to get the color, detail and crispness is truely remarkable.

Hat Off to ya!!!! Well Done

No fair, no fair, no fair Mike. These are simply excellent shots, moreso considering the conditions.

Can I come live with you? :biggrin:

Mike, there's not much to critique, these are superb! And considering the conditions, you did an excellent job times 2 ... no, make that times 10. :smile:

Fantastic series. I like the close up shots 1,4, and 5. The less than perfect lighting shows off a lot of detail. Sometimes rainy weather works to your favor.

No fair, no fair, no fair Mike. These are simply excellent shots, moreso considering the conditions.

Can I come live with you? :biggrin:
It was a challenge. ISO 400 was enough for the ground shots but not for the in-flight shots. Still trying to figure out what kind of shutter speed I need for in-flight bird captures.

If you ever need a place to crash in Juneau, drop me a line. Mike

Very sharp pictures Mike ...... especially #4 where you can see the water droplets on the back of the eagle. Absolutely loved it.

Very nice work Mike!
Unless it's early or late light I almost prefer shooting eagles in flatter, overcast, snowy etc...
Again nice job.

Excellent shots all of them, but #4 is definitely a wall hanger.

Louie
Thanks! I think I will frame one of these. Mike

Mike, there's not much to critique, these are superb! And considering the conditions, you did an excellent job times 2 ... no, make that times 10. :smile:
Thanks! It was fun shooting in the rain and the equipment held up nicely.

Absolutely fantastic! Your pictures are so crisp and sharp. I look forward to see more!
Thanks! I used 135, 3.5, 0 USM settings, or close to that.

Great shots, Mike. Good example of these birds in the natural elements that most people don't think to shoot, and the subdued lighting really brings out the detail.

Sean
Sean, I was very pleased with the level of detail and the colors. I think you are right, the low light created a challenge for Shutterspeed but it definitely drew out the details in the whites and browns. Mike

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom