Rainy eagles

Discussion in 'Birds' started by MJAM, Apr 10, 2007.

1. MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    My wife saw five eagles pass by the bay windows as we were lounging Sunday afternoon. Got the rig and rain boots and checked it out. There were about fifteen eagles feeding off scraps thrown out by a salmon smokehouse a few doors down the shore from us. They were either too gorged or too anxious for more scraps to fly away from me.

This is my fourth attempt at capturing eagles with the 80-400VR. I finally got some keepers. Of course, this time I was only about 20 yards away from them and they were very polite and posed for me for several minutes. I also tried to capture several in flight, but with no luck. As you can see, it was overcast and rainy.

All with D200, 80-400VR, ISO 400, f/7.1, varying shutter speeds.

C&C appreciated.

2. I don't have to tell you these are OUTSTABDING pictures Mike and in those conditions to get the color, detail and crispness is truely remarkable.

Hat Off to ya!!!! Well Done
  3. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    No fair, no fair, no fair Mike. These are simply excellent shots, moreso considering the conditions.

Can I come live with you? :biggrin:
  4. Excellent shots all of them, but #4 is definitely a wall hanger.

5. Timeout

May 23, 2006
    Mike, there's not much to critique, these are superb! And considering the conditions, you did an excellent job times 2 ... no, make that times 10. :smile:
  6. graemej

graemej Guest

Absolutely fantastic! Your pictures are so crisp and sharp. I look forward to see more!
  7. Great shots, Mike. Good example of these birds in the natural elements that most people don't think to shoot, and the subdued lighting really brings out the detail.

8. cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    You looked out your window and saw those?? No fair!!!
    Great pics.
  9. I like the first and fourth ones the best. Good job!
  10. fantastic! Really nice work
  11. Great shots!
  12. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic shots.
    I have to bet you are thrilled:>))
    God job
  13. wow, what a great site to have next door!! I drove 12 hours to Iowa to see and photograph eagles!! great shots, and good use of a good lens.
  14. jimmyc1000

Jun 14, 2006
    Fantastic series. I like the close up shots 1,4, and 5. The less than perfect lighting shows off a lot of detail. Sometimes rainy weather works to your favor.
  15. MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Very kind of you, Gary. The D200 and 80-400 held up well in the rain. Mike
  16. MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    It was a challenge. ISO 400 was enough for the ground shots but not for the in-flight shots. Still trying to figure out what kind of shutter speed I need for in-flight bird captures.

If you ever need a place to crash in Juneau, drop me a line. Mike
  17. sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Very sharp pictures Mike ...... especially #4 where you can see the water droplets on the back of the eagle. Absolutely loved it.
  18. Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Very nice work Mike!
    Unless it's early or late light I almost prefer shooting eagles in flatter, overcast, snowy etc...
    Again nice job.
  19. MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Thanks! I think I will frame one of these. Mike

Thanks! It was fun shooting in the rain and the equipment held up nicely.

Thanks! I used 135, 3.5, 0 USM settings, or close to that.
  20. MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Sean, I was very pleased with the level of detail and the colors. I think you are right, the low light created a challenge for Shutterspeed but it definitely drew out the details in the whites and browns. Mike