Rainy Saturday & Sunny Sunday U6 soccer weekend

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Chris_B, May 5, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    (I added the shots from Sunday at the bottom)

I was able to get good shutter speeds by running the ISO between 320-400 and keeping my aperture at 2.8. I had to take the TC off of my 70-200VR to get it done which limited me a little.

What do you guys think about the WB? I set it to auto on the camera and wondered if I should have set cloudy. I did my best in PP to adjust it but I'm not sure if I got it right. Please critic my PP job.

A decent day of shooting and my son scored a goal which is nice :biggrin:.

My son's goal sequence:

View attachment 93874

others:

View attachment 93875

View attachment 93876

View attachment 93877

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007
  2. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

awesome ! ... i love watching lil guys play there so much fun

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Topher. They are a lot of fun to watch.

Do you think the colors and WB look right? I'm not entirely satisfied with my post processing work and would appreciate a few opinions.

4. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Color and WB look good on shot number 4 ( my fav ) but there may be a tad bit to much contrast in shot number 1..... in photoshop i would do selective color and pull out a tad bit of black in the black channel and see how that looks....and by tad i mean 1 - 3 ..... they look good for 2.8 they really do .... when you shoot that wide it's espically hard to get faces + body in focus.... keep shooting im looking forward to seeing more of your work !

5. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the hints. I'll try some selective color to see how it works. The next game is 2:45 today so I'll have some more shots up tonight.

6. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

cant wait to see them !

7. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
  8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Much better with the sunshining Chris. These are really good, it is an enjoyable series. Please keep the images coming.

9. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

i liked the ones in the shade better....... there is something about the color of the first set that seems more life like .... i cant explain it. Prehaps it's something with the saturation ....I'm not sure, i cant put my thumb on it.... If you want send me a Raw and i can look ?

10. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Chris,

I think the second bunch was just a PP issue ....

D200-Sunday_1-copy.

I noticed for many of your shots you have for the rainy day you shot at f2.8 and had shutter speeds over 1/1500..... here's what i would do .... I would first shoot arround f/4 and try to get a target speed arround 1/800 of a second or so ... thats pleanty fast to stop these guys... if your still running fast (over 1000) drop down your ISO and get cleaner shots... It's a win win .... you get clear shots.... and the ball / entire kid in focus !! .... let me knwo what ya think

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  11. They look good to me Chris I almost always shoot in A -1 WB
    I love watching the guys run around playing

12. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks guys. I plan on experimenting with WB settings to get a better feel for them.

Mike - does that mean you shoot in auto WB and dial in -1? What does the -1 do? I need to read more about WB in camera settings.

13. PMJI, you can adjust the WB based on the "temperature" of the light....an excellent reference is Thom Hagan's guide, it's a pretty complex area (note that to increase the color temperature, you dial negative.

You can also use EV compensation adjustments...you can vary it by -.3 (1/3) or -.6 (2/3), all the way 'down' to -1; here negative means decrease, go figure.

You can go higher, but typically not recommended. This is in the area of EV compensation, in your manual; note that it's not WB. BTW, I usually shoot w/ cloudy WB, even in bright sunny days.

I use center-weighted metering, 6mm size; I may give spot metering a try too some day.

Here's an example of it not "on", i.e. EV compensation at 0.0, notice the right shoulder of the girl in yellow and her right arm sleeve:

http://aqualung.exposuremanager.com/p/foxboro_may_6/ns-lax-foxboro---2429

and a couple w/ it on, the white is 'softer':

-0.3 -- http://aqualung.exposuremanager.com/p/medfield_may_2/jv-lax-medfield---02631
    -0.6 -- http://aqualung.exposuremanager.com/p/shrewsbury_apr_28th/shrewsbury-apr-28---26015

Bright mid-day sunlight is not your friend... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  14. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Chris. I am familiar with ev settings, though I don't always adjust correctly. I need to do some more reading on preset WB setting and plan on getting a WB card. In the past, I have been using the dropper tool in PP but I don't always have a good, consistent reference. With a card, I'll be able to have a constant reference to set a preWB or do it in PP.

15. Hi, one thing I did for indoor basketball was to splurge on an Expodisc vs a grey card, I have been very happy with it. I don't typically use it outside, as the Auto WB seems to do a pretty good job there (vs. indoor). I got the 77mm for my largest lens, you simply hold it over the smaller lenses, but it does make it an expensive buy (~$120US) vs a grey card.

I shot some LAX yesterday in bright sunshine using -0.67EV and it worked well, the images look dark coming out of the camera but PP brightens them up w/out losing detail due to blown highlights.

16. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Chris.

There is nothing more enjoyable then watching these little ones running around! I hope you do not mind, but I am a crop freak! I took the liberty of taking a couple of pics and cropping them to see what you think.

491245852_a1c5c65baa_o.

491245786_91792c09fc_o.

I hope you didn't mind.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2007
  17. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    No problem at all Raul. Those were D2H shots and I tried not to crop them too much. I need to get better at framing as tight as possible and following the action. Easier said than done. I like shooting my son's soccer games and look forward to his other sport like lacrosse in a few years. My oldest is 6 and youngest is 2 so I hope to have a fair idea of how to use a camera by the time they are in high school.