Rally for Gush Katif settlement on the west bank - miami

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Wilk, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    This rally was held pretty much as the settlements were being dismantled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. You have given us a good feel for this ralley. Well done.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Steve - really great color and focus and composition and especailly the backgrounds. As journalism they're all good. As photographs #2, #3 and the last one are GREAT!

4. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks a bunch Gordon!

5. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Chris,

WOW! Thanks ever so much! I'm not a PJ as a profession, but have gotten involved in the SoFla DSLR group, and the founder, dean laudermilch, who is also a member of this forum, got me very much enamoured with shooting protests and rallies, as it's some of his favorite work, and he does all the leg work finding out where they are and when :tongue:

Tell ya what, if ONLY for this type of work, the Nikkor 135mm F/2 DC is just a freakin awesome lens! I didn't use the DC function at all for this one, but at F/2, the bokeh just rules with this lens. I typically use my 70-200mm F/2.8 vr more at such events, but it's in melville right now with the acursed sticky zoom ring. At least here, a blessing in disguise, because I've really fallen even more deeply in love with the 135 - it's an amazing hunk of glass.

Again, thanks for your kind words!

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yer work with it in this thread and others really makes me want one!

7. Nice job Steve!! Amazing shots!!

8. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Funny, when I decided to pull the trigger on it, I first searched ebay and found a cherry used one - cost me $760 + shipping - I was a very happy camper. One caveat... the lens is not afs, and I have problems from time to time with not putting the focus point in a good spot and the lens does what I call a "hunt and clunk" where it locks in the closest focus position. All you need to do is move to a better focus object and refocus and it comes out of it. I guess the trick is to try to make sure you pick a good contrasty point to focus on when possible. Also, on my lens, the built in hood had problems getting jambed in the extended position, but I followed Ron Reznick's suggestion and got the 72mm Screw-In Metal Telephoto Lens Hood #960, and just put a 77mm cap on the end of that, problem solved.

9. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    What up Dawg? :confused: :BigGrin:

Hey man, thanks very much. I gotta confess though, many of these events are "fish in a barrel" shoots, as no one really seems to object much - many groups are happy to get coverage by ANYONE, and appreciate the availablility of the photos for thier own use.

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Steve,

Although I'm a blue ribbon (if you know what that means), I like the shots very much. Great job you did. By the way, the orange ribbons are nearly gone now, after the retreat from Gaza. Keep up the good work and your postings.

11. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Heiko,

I can sort of guess what blue ribbon is. Just want to lay down a disclaimer here... I know how passionate the powers that be here are about keeping politics etc., out of the fourm. I just wanted to say that whatever I shoot with my amateur PJ hat, I do so as an impartial observer. If my PJ work comes from one side of a particular issue, that is simply because that side of the issue is the only one exercizing their first ammendment rights in a public fashion. I know you didn't make that statement to make things political, just to say you're for the other side, that's fine with me. I just wanted to be sure everyone knows that the passion is for shooting protests and rallies, and does not come from a political passion or view.

At any rate, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics! :tongue:

12. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for your reply and the disclaimer, Steve,

I didn't want to imply you're taking a side. I know this forum isn't political, and it's good this way. I also had a look at your website and enjoyed your powerful images of people at rallies and protests. You are doing good job at street photography - show us more!

13. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey... not a problem. Really, that disclamer was to set the powers that be at ease moreso than specifically aimed at you. You just gave me the opening to make it clear that I'm not some whacko :eek: [said tongue in cheek with all defference and due respect to the first amendment] Next week I'm actually going to cover a rally that is a voice that I am staunchly and passionately against, but will do even that as impartially as I can... I swear... I'll do everything up to and including biting my tongue to avoid "getting into it" with any participants :Angel: