Ram Voltage

I'm putting together a new system(my 1st build) with the help of my son in law. I began the process of dumping my wallet at Newegg:wink: earlier this week and expect delivery next week. My son in law decided to help out and saw a good deal on 12gb(3x4gb) of Kingston HyperX for $100(after rebate). The dilemma I have is that the ram is listed at 1.65v and the MoBo states the DIMM slots are 1.5v(I read that somewhere but I can't remember where). The specs on Newegg & MSI don't list any voltage for the slots(that I remember seeing). The info on the Kingston site states that the MoBo that I ordered will take 1.65v memory. The CPU is an i7-2600(not the K-don't see the need to OC) and the board is P67A-GD55(B3). Will I need to seed the ram back or will I be able to adjust voltage in the bios? I've read that this may be possible with this MoBo but since i've never done it, I'll leave that part to my son in law. He's built many systems(he's an IT for a company) si I'll trust him as to what he's doing.

Edit to add this from the MSI site: Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2133*(OC) DRAM, 32GB Max
and this from the Kingston site: http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/p67/default.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue with 1.5-1.65v RAM voltage is an Intel issue and the P67 chip set, not the motherboard. Intel recommended voltages for the Sandy Bridge platform is 1.5v.

1.65v memory has been tested and will work, but not all RAM is equal. The motherboard should recognize the RAM and volt it properly, if not you can set it manually in BIOS.

The in practice recommendation with Sandy Bridge is don't exceed 1.65 volts. My RAM was designed for the 1156 socket motherboards which is 1.65v, but runs just peachy at it's XMP profile of 1333 CAS 9 and 1.65v with my P67 motherboard

In your manual for that board: "CPU Vcore/ CPU IO/ DRAM Voltage/ CPU SA/ CPU PLL Voltage/ DDR_VREF_CA_A/
DDR_VREF_CA_B/ DDR_VREF_DA_A/ DDR_VREF_DA_B/ PCH 1.05
These items are used to adjust the voltage of CPU, Memory and chipset."

Edit: One thing about that memory, sounds like you are buying triple channel (3 DIMMS designed for X58 motherboards) and the P67 is dual channel. You might want to verify if 3 DIMMs will work or if you need 2 or 4 instead of 3 with your board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for info. I spent the weekend on an MSI forum site and got an education on ram in general. I decided to RMA the kingston and reordered 1.5v ram. 2 sets of 8gb(2x4gb) for a total of 16gb with 4gb per slot. I don't think I'll have a shortage of ram.

My motherboard does NOT set the RAM voltage, OR timings correctly with the settings on AUTO. I have to manually set mine. I had a lot of crashing when I first set the system up, until I got into the BIOS and found that the RAM was severely undervolted.

typically faster ram has a higher voltage requirement and 1.65 is very likely to be supported by the motherboard so you just change the bios setting as required

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom