Rambling of an old fart who should know better...

With today’s economic times we find ourselves having to rethink what we do and whom we are doing it for. Over the past few hours I have looked at many different threads on the café.

• I’m loosing my job,
• I want to get into the photography business,
• Better go back to school,
• How do I start a photo business,
• Is a D300 a good enough backup camera,
• Is this lens or that lens right for me?
• If I buy really good gear will it make me better
• If I take a business course will it make me successful
• Why did Nikon put video into the D400
• How do I get a pro shooting job?
• ETC

The end result of these discussions is almost always the same People want to make changes in their lives and they are hopeful that either the photo business or gear will allow them to do that.

As I look at the photography business... 80% of the people in it should REALLY be doing something else. The market is flooded with either old hacks (like me) or young ones who will spend a few years starving and then move on for a new group to come in and starve.

At the end of the day, the world media is changing and all the outlets (or clients) are looking for people who can do more for less. They are no longer happy with sending some person out on the street or around the world to capture images for the morning run or magazine. Today they want that person to also collect the video so they can use it in their web-based presence and sell it for TV programming ($3,000 per second!!). The days of the staff guy at the local newspaper are almost over and now you better be a writer, producer, photographer and web designer if you want to get or hold a job in this business.

If you have the skills to do this then the photography business (might) be for you!

The wedding people are fighting against everyone who owns a camera and trying to sell what is a lot of time second rate captures. The client for the wedding side is also not interested in the still shooter as much as a person or team who can collect both stills / video and then package them in the most professional way. These packages have value… the still images in print or disks don’t. They don’t because Uncle Bill could have done that so why should they pay a third party for something they can do themselves.

At the end of the day (in my mind anyway) if you REALLY want to make it...

You will need the following:

• Camera skills good enough to generate above average images to put you above the normal snapshot shooter.
• You need computer skills better than the guy on the street to edit these images so they are the best they can be.
• Video/audio skill good enough to use your stuff on the national news.
• Editing skills that will allow you to do things in programs like Final Cut Pro and not just I-movie or some other consumer-editing program.
• Packaging skills… The ability to create finished packages that cannot be duplicated by others. Including stills, video, audio all blended together to tell the story that the client wants.

At the end of the day if you can do (all) this at the highest level you will not have a problem making a go of this business. If you cannot…. Look for something else to do!

I just watched my client spend 2-million $$ collecting outreach (media packages – still, video, web, press ready presentations) for their projects. They did not blink at spending the $$ because they see value in it.

So get off your butts and stop worrying if your gear is good enough to turn pro…. Get the skills you need and you will be offering the client something they (need) to buy because they cannot do it themselves as well or as price effective.

Finally the end of my rant!

Last edited by a moderator:

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Rambling of an old fart who should know better...

Finally the end of my rant!

Could you loan me a few grand and then give me some free private lessons so I can out and be successful?

:biggrin:

Doug, well said, man! I read and re-read that post because it really sunk in. That's the reality, isn't it? Could you have predicted this way back when? Would you have believed it if someone told you that's how it would be?

Pretty wild ride.

Could you loan me a few grand and then give me some free private lessons so I can out and be successful?

:biggrin:

Doug, well said, man! I read and re-read that post because it really sunk in. That's the reality, isn't it? Could you have predicted this way back when? Would you have believed it if someone told you that's how it would be?

Pretty wild ride.

Hi Glenn:

Lessons.... heck I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two.....lol

As for could one see this coming.... YES!

We just need to step our game up as the consumer is gaining more skills all the time. So taking a nice picture and hoping to sell it to someone is over... because they can do it themselves. But if you can take a good picture, melt it with a little video, add some on-site audio and present it so it tells a GREAT STORY. That has value and you will not have enough hours in the day to keep up.

Cheers
Doug

rant: to speak or declaim in a violent, loud or vehement manner.

That was much less a rant than a concise reality check. Well done, Doug.

To anyone familiar with the UK's Amateur Photographer magazine, I vote for Doug to alternate with Roger Hicks on the back page.

At the end of the day, the world media is changing and all the outlets (or clients) are looking for people who can do more for less. They are no longer happy with sending some person out on the street or around the world to capture images for the morning run or magazine. Today they want that person to also collect the video so they can use it in their web-based presence and sell it for TV programming ($3,000 per second!!). The days of the staff guy at the local newspaper are almost over and now you better be a writer, producer, photographer and web designer if you want to get or hold a job in this business.

Interesting commentary, agree w/ you 100%. This part really jumped out at me....a lot of people (old farts like me included) are saying "I don't need no stinkin' video in my DSLR" like the D90 and the rumored D400. But maybe Nikon is really on to something here...

I'm also hearing about more 'reporters' being required to take pictures of their subjects so the newspaper doesn't have to pay to have a photog there as well as the reporter.

Doug, this is a very interesting post. I say that because for the last 4 or 5 years I have been tasked , as an extracurricular (after work) activity of shooting and assembling a slide presentation once a year. My presentations have been photographs (so far they have only been average) with music to show people, both new and old, places, both new and old and progress on really new places, projects, and equipment.

This year...yesterday morning, I was asked in this years presentation to include video, original music, and build a web sight so that the folks that could not attend the presentation can view it at their leisure on the web.

My response to was if that's what you want I will start working on it. The reply was we need the first one in a month, but...we don't need the web page to go with that one, or original music, we want that for just the end of the year presentation. Both of these presentation will be no longer then ten minutes.

The good news in this, is I can have them purchase software and other tools I need to do this.

In my mind although I never said it I thought, darn, this is a lot of work for something I don't get paid for doing, and that this is probably a big waste of my time. Now I read your reality check, and maybe the powers here know something I didn't, but I have a whole new energy now to complete this.

My focus this year was on improving my photography skills both technically and artistically. Now apparently since I have the D90, I am also going to have to become a videographer, a web sight designer, audio engineer, computer musician, and at this point, God only know what else. But maybe this is good, maybe this will teach me (force me to learn) more marketable skills. My intent is to only do this part time for my current employer, but at this point, who knows.

Thank you for showing me the light.

Doug,

I fully agree with you. Many professionals will insist that their business is selling prints and that their customers do not have the right to make their own prints. From a legal perspective they might be right. That businessmodel was highly succesful in the past 50 years but times have changed and many customers will no longer see value in physical copies and have the view that they as the customer who payed for the pictures should have the right to do with them whatever they want.

Again, that changed market perspective might or might not be within the limits of the copyright act but it's reality. Record companies stuck to their old business model, ignoring the needs and wants of the market and see where it got them. Succesful bands recognized that the money is in performing - not in selling CD's or MP3's.
Sell what is valuable (your skills, you performing work), not what is cheap (copies and prints that can be made for $0.25). Creatively thinking with your client, proposing new ways to do shoots, etc, all that is in line with it. My bet is that the photographers who will survive as a business understand that. Those that will stick to the $150 8x10 prints wont.

Real Name
Dale
I have found the youth sports market to be a good one. If I shoot a game and am able to produce the images quickly, I am able to make a nice supplemental living. I sell the CD with the jpeg images or do custom prints myself. I let the customer make his/her own prints from the Cd if they so desire. Be sure to get permission from the place the game is being played, the organization sponsoring the game, the coaches, and the parents of the children. Never force yourself on the event. If they say no, leave. Always have an external id with your name and picture. Have a business card with your information. After a time the league will invite you to be at their games. No one will fund you to show up. After a time parents will ask you to be sure to "shoot" their kids. (Be sure to get the child's jersey number.) That is photo heaven as you will be assured of a sale. Never produce pictures of kids without the permission of the parents. I have done very well when I shot youth games. Games where the faces of the kids are seen are great. Football is difficult as the helmet gets in the way. Try to get kids doing something in the game. Action is a big sell. Anyway, have fun with your photography and the rewards will follow.

Great post Doug.

I'm with you. Although I am a camera equipment junkie I spent a lot of my time and money in the past year on Proshow Producer and Adobe Premiere. In my market the demand for a video product (based on stills and/or video footage) is at least as large as that for straight photography. I recently produced a wedding video using (with permission) the digital files from a professional wedding photog who did not offer the video as a product. I don't currently do videography, but I see that in my future.

Makes a lot of sense Doug. Personally I prefer the still image to the video; there is more left to one's imagination, as with a book; consequently in the long run I think you get more out of it. However I'm an old fart as well. If it's what people want and will pay for it would be foolhardy to insist on the old model.

To anyone familiar with the UK's Amateur Photographer magazine, I vote for Doug to alternate with Roger Hicks on the back page.

Sorry I have never seen this publication. I have had many images in your Nature magazine, but not this one.

I'm sure there are many people who could fill the back page better than I.... But thanks for the vote!

All you need is LOVE

Love is all you need!

When I say all you need is love, I mean it!
Every profession on the planet is dominated by those who love it, those who can not do anything else

If you are obsessed then this is for you, if not go find something that you just can not live without doing and follow your dream. Because doing what you love is a dream come true!

Love is all you need!

Thank you for dinner Doug - food for thought.

Anyway off to shoot some stills at a brewery!! Been out ballooning today too!!

Plenty of driving today to digest your rant!!:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Thank you for dinner Doug - food for thought.

Anyway off to shoot some stills at a brewery!! Been out ballooning today too!!

Plenty of driving today to digest your rant!!:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

That was the idea behind it Geoff.... I knew you would be hungry after all that moving around and taking pictures, so I thought the least I could do is give you a little to munch on...:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom