Rambling on ... I guess

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Sometimes I think that the images I post here must appear to be just random shots. Often they are parts of several series I have running concurrently (some may take years to complete). And these series seem to have a life of their own operating independently of conscious effort on my part. I'll post some examples here of one such set and I do apologize since the first two are digital and were shot before I returned to film. These particular images are of my grandson and hopefully have implications beyond just "cute" kid pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realize that I've posted a couple of these before but I'm beginning to think that perhaps in the future I should save images in sets before posting so that their implications within a series becomes more apparent. Thoughts?

2. ...the idea of saving to series sets prior to posting sounds ok, but i don't see why posting one photo now that fits in the series, and then next month posting another in the series, and then in six months or a year posting the whole series, would not be interesting. i think seeing a set that recaps back over time is pretty kool, i don't have a problem looking at an image that i've seen before, now in different context, kind of like the retropsective cap to a long series

3. That's what I love about film (and what I lack with digital)! With film, each image takes time and has its own weight while with digital it's all happening too fast, way too much and the images have less value. Only with film one can complete a series over the years.
    Of course, this is my opinion and feeling. But that's the reason why I have never let film down.

Ray, your series is very well thought of. Yes it goes beyond mere cutie captures. There's the love element, but beyond that, there's the "you're born alone and you die alone" element. What I mean by that is, you're portraying this little boy's progression as if he was a person, not just a cute baby.

I'll look forward to the remaining missing images that have yet to be created.

4. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

So the theme is captivity??? If not these shots do speak cute kids.

I know what you're trying to do and say and I applaud the effort but I don't see what holds these together as a series other than the media chosen.

5. Captivity... I like it. Reminds my everyday life: captive from my wife, Visa account dictating my life, debts, having to be normal in public... Y'know like not ****** where I want when I want it. After all, to think of it, we're all captive. :wink:

6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

[;) 

Ned, I'd suggest ****** wherever you want to. Its liberating.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's messy.

8. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Nice set of images! I am happy with you posting things again for a set, especially give the circumstances of time. I love number 3 for the great lighting, texture and tones, it's beautiful! Looking at this image compared to the first 2 it really shines. Don't get me wrong, I love digital but the fact that it looks very clean isn't always a positive thing.

I agree with Ned about digital and film. Although I haven't used digital properly since I bought my first film camera a few weeks ago that's mostly because film is a new toy for me. I love digital photography but strangely (or maybe not) it just feels different from film, in the mood of the images and the mindset I'm in when I'm taking it.

I'm sorry to go on about go on about the digital / film thing, I know it wasn't the point of your post but I'm newly converted and it just interests me.

9. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    I'm ****** as I type this

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.