Ran into a mountain goat while hiking.

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by james thiel, Jul 9, 2007.

1. We took some relatives over to the Olympic Peninsula here in Washington State. We went on hike to Hurricane Ridge. I carried my 500 and tripod just in case any animals were around. Last year we saw a bear and I did not have enough glass. Well I did not really need it as the mountain goat was very close. Here are a few of the images plus a few fawns we shot in the morning.

original.
    In all my years of hiking the cascades I have never seen one up close.
    View attachment 104839

Here are a few fawns we saw in the evening and early morning.
    View attachment 104840

View attachment 104841

View attachment 104842

2. That is really something to see. Great images all of them.

3. Jim, you definitely hit the jackpot. These images are absolutely outstanding in every respect. And what an exciting find, to see a goat. Beautiful.

4. Awesome shots Jim. What a cool thing!

5. Great images Jim. We used to live in Dungeness and could be at the top of the Ridge in 30 minutes or on the Dungeness Spit in 10 minutes. . I think Murray Morgan said it best in his book about the Olympic Penninsula; after making the universe, whatever God had left over he put it on the Pennisula.

6. So dragging around the glass payed off in the end. Nice pictures.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice. Never really realized how woolly those goats are.
    The fawns are just beautiful:>))

Nice work Jim

8. Thanks Louis. We had a great time and the mountain goat was a real plus. We also saw an eagles nest up close, lots of heron, eagles, California Quail, small birds, deer, and beautiful scenery. Hard to beat.

Thanks much. I was really happy for sure.

Thanks much Peter.

Jerry, you are sure right about the Peninsula. It is such a beautiful area and wow what great wildlife. We usually go a couple of times a year.

Yes it did. I felt kind of silly packing it up the trail but I did not want to leave it in the car either. I was glad it worked out.

Thanks Gale. You know I did not realize how woolly they were either. I have only seen them from a far before. This was really up close and personal. I have some shots with just the face and horns as it walked right past me.

9. lovely fawn photos. i ran into a bear two weeks ago in nh - but didn't have the right glass with me to get a decent shot.