Randy's dam

Well I finally met Randy(and pup). And what more fitting place than at his dam. Shooting wasn't that great but it was a beautiful morning and the conversation was awesome. Still came away with a couple of interesting images.

D500/500mm PF

1) Great Egret in early light and against a shadowed BG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) And then doing what we hope to see them do at the dam

3)

4)

5)

6) And a couple of big blue flybyes

7)Notice the fishing line tangled around this one's feet.

fun morning, glad we met

love the bent neck fish grab shot
Yeah, Randy. I really enjoyed the morning. Glad we finally got to meet face to face. It's amazing how those big birds can contort their bodies in flight.
Dam, those are great! :D
Thanks, Nick.
WOW! You make that 500 mm SING! :)
One nice thing about that 500 PF is that it is sharp wide open. You can just set it there and let it rock. Though compared to the big glass I do miss the extra stop of light in the VF.
Wow, these are really terrific! Looks to me as though shooting opportunities were good enough that you were able to come home with these prizes! :)
Everything is relative. Sometimes at that location there is more action than you can keep up with. Birds continually diving and/or fighting for fish. That particular morning it was slow with only a couple of passes made over the course of three hours. But we take what we're given.

Thanks for commenting.
love that first shot, it should be in the featured group.
Thanks, Rick. The benefits of being there for the early light.
Looks like good company, and great location leads to great shots...
Wonderful images !
That's a recipe for a day well spent for sure.
The ones with the simple bg are my favorites.
Those are always my favorites as well. If I had to describe my own style of photography I'd say that I like isolation of the subject. Recognizable BG is OK as long as it doesn't obscure/confuse/draw attention from the main subject. I'd describe the shots over the water as obscuring the main subject. Unfortunately the water was running so hard that day that it really had the surface roiling thus the messy BG. I think the fast water was also the reason for the lower bird activity that day.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom