Rangefinders and D-movies

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by joey, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Remember those Nikon rangefinder rumours? Makes a lot of sense as a platform for 35 mm. still-movie camera. No mirror box to get in the way yet still retains a terrific viewfinder and possibility of full AF in both still and movie mode.
    That old retro look might just be the look of things to come. A FF 35mm. camera with an excellent viewfinder, modern AF, live view, interchangeable lenses and yes.....HD-movies.
    Not just for photographers, for independent film-makers and videographers too.
    That can be really "BIG" (as the tagline in that Rangefinder Magazine states)!

2. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

And how are you to focus it? Nikon can't seem to do the autofocus thing yet for video. And close-ups will be very hit and miss, even with parallex help.

3. The Contax G series rangefinders did have AF. (Beautiful little camera). That was more than a decade ago. I'm sure Nikon could do a better job with their vast experience with AF systems and the technology available today. You never know, they might have something up their sleeves. Seems like they've been full of surprises lately.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    The current rumor is Nikon releasing a Coolpix compact with a DX sensor. Not sure if there will be a movie mode though.

5. I so hope that this old prediction is a true picture of things to come with some additional HD video to boot. If that is the future then I LIKE IT.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.