Rangefinders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iliah, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I agree with the comment that rangefinders have great future in digital photography.

Pretty soon they can substitute reflex cameras, provided electronic viewfinder will be as comfortable as viewfinder in SLR.

Except for EVF Limiting factor for now at least one more problem needs to be addressed.

Sensor is less sensitive to the light beams striking it at sharp angles. Regular lens design, customary for rangefinders and even for some SLRs, is not suitable here, provoking digital vignetting because light is at frame edges light is deflected sharply. As soon as lens design and sensor design will be improved, and/or noise level brought down (which will allow to increase amplification for peripheral pixels without visible noise and loss of sharpness), rangefinders may become quite popular.

In detail the explanation can be found at Joseph S. Wisniewski site:
    http://swissarmyfork.com/digital_lens_faq.htm

see chapter "Longer "throw"'.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I agree, so DX style lenses, which maintain a longer distance from the sensor will still be a popular solution. But the advantages, especially an electronic shutter, are still many. I'm very surprised that there is only one DRF camera on the market.

A lot of the sdesign in digicams will be useful once they get the sensor size up to DSLR sizes.

3. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'd love to see a digital version of the Nikon F3 body. Any of the older MF bodies would be a great start.

Just this morning I went out shooting with my FG & 50mm. It was so nice to travel light & I had a blast doing it. There are just times when the lighter, quieter body works better.

Dave