Rangers Islanders

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by twig, Oct 20, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    The Islanders won in OT 3-2 after a shootout. Since I recently sold my Sigma 120-300 (probably a stupid idea), I had only the Sigma 150/2.8 macro. All in all made me miss my 70-200VR...

[​IMG]
    This is a shot I wont use for work because his face is covered, but I thought it was good fortune that I was using a fixed lens and this pretty much fills the frame exactly. I do like the bend in his stick and catching the puck in frame, so I am glad I can share it here rather than just discard it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great shots, must be nice to shot in such a well lit arena....

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good work twig,
    Great shots

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shooting, Twig. I echo what Dave mentioned...the rink is lit quite nicely. Great job capturing the action!

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Shooting at MSG is a breeze.
    1/500 f/2.8 at ISO 800 for Canon folks, perhaps ISO 1000 for Nikon users.

As tiem wore on I got a bit lazy and used ISO 1000 but f/3.2 to try and get more DOF since the AF is not super quick on the Sigma lens.

More pictures for hockey fans can be found here
    http://www.nycsportspics.com/rangersisles

Whenever I am forced to shoot too much HS stuff, I start thinking about that 200 f/2, then when I get to the Garden I start to wonder why I sold my 70-200VR (because the arena is so much brighter)

Still, I would prefer to be wired into the strobes like the NHL and team photogs.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice work Twig. You captured some great action. Question, did you have the in-cam NR on for these, if what settings, and did you shoot them in jpg?

7. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Hello Steve,

I am not on deadline, so I shoot in RAW.
    This is the d2Hs at ISO 1000 with high ISO NR on normal.
    I tried some NR in post, but actually preferr them without any further NR because it eliminates the stubble al lthe players seem to foster, so I ended up discarding that.

8. Nice shots each and every one of them do you ever get a chance to be wired into the strobes for an event at MSG that woudl be fantastic.

9. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    getting on those strobes ia looooong, verging on never-gonna-happen shot. The house/team photogs get them, then AP & SI sometimes, then the NBA or NHL photogs, but few others - at most maybe 3 or 4 people in the arena with pocket wizards. The Post, Times, the daily papers, all shoot without, and until I befriend the Dolan's I don;t think I wil lget to use them either.

The lovely side effect of strobes (other than of course the constant envy of those shooting at ISO 400 f/5.6 or something obscene), is that in all of your very best shots you have the strobe screwing up your image, making it irretrievably purple and blown out on one side of the frame.

I sat one hole over from a lady photog who was hooked into the strobes, I think she was AP.